Author Topic: When a religion dies...  (Read 3316 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
When a religion dies...
« Topic Start: April 05, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
What happens to a religion's peasant followers if the religion collapses? Adgharinism on FEI has quite a lot of followers, but I believe they are about to lose their last temple, if they haven't already. What happens after that? Do the followers all revert to paganism instantly, or does the religion slowly lose followers until they're all gone?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: When a religion dies...
« Reply #1: April 05, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
What happens to a religion's peasant followers if the religion collapses? Adgharinism on FEI has quite a lot of followers, but I believe they are about to lose their last temple, if they haven't already. What happens after that? Do the followers all revert to paganism instantly, or does the religion slowly lose followers until they're all gone?

Once the religion no longer exists, its followers are all technically pagans. That's just part of how religion works in BM.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 05, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
And does the religion instantly cease to exist when the last temple goes down, or do they get some time to build a new one?

And what happens to Priests of the religion? Are they kicked back to Warrior?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 05, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
And does the religion instantly cease to exist when the last temple goes down, or do they get some time to build a new one?

Don't recall offhand for certain, but I believe there are a couple of days in which a new one could be built. Basically, the assumption is that you've had at least several days of warnings about temples failing, and probably several weeks of knowing that you're in trouble to get something done.

Yes.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 05, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »

Things may have changed since I last ran a religion (2009) but back then the religion disappeared when the last temple was completely destroyed. As long as you had a ruined temple it would still be active.

Also priests remained priests but were unable to preach or emigrate.

egamma

« Reply #5: April 05, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »
Also priests remained priests but were unable to preach or emigrate.

Dang, I was hoping there was some 'kick priest' code that could be copied for that issue...

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 05, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
Rightio. Thanks, guys.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 05, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
The Manifest Path took some time between its last temple standing and all its peasants becoming pagans. I think that less than a week, though.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 06, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »
Code changed over the years, and priests go to warriors.  When a faith loses elder priests it decays rapidly.  When you lose all temples you collapse entirely to pagan and priests lose class.