Author Topic: Fontan's Surprising Strength  (Read 45806 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fontan's Surprising Strength
« Topic Start: April 04, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
There is nothing wrong with aiming for maximum efficiency or working like a team, under the condition that you do it with an open hand to other players in my opinion.

In and of itself, no, there's no problem with that as a goal.

I personally enjoy fighting against and working together with other realms - really achieving something in game-terms - much more than the internal politics side of the game. Even though it can be very enjoyable, and really you need to have internal conflicts up to a certain level to keep things interesting at all times, it just too often leads to a bad atmosphere that cripples your realm. Then I rather work together closely with everyone in my realm and enjoy the occasional brawl amongst our own, all in good fun. That is, as far as I'm concerned, the perfect realm.

This is perfectly true, too. Internal conflicts can be fun within certain boundaries, but in the end, you really want to play a team game most of the time.

However, the problem with the Saxons is that they have a team that has certain advantages that normal BattleMaster realms simply cannot mimic.

They have 100% movement, even late in the turn.
They can communicate outside the game to pass along orders or remind each other to move, or to switch from misdirection to moving, etc.
They can trust that none of their number will ever betray them.
They are willing to commit 100% of the resources of the realm to producing for war.
They can funnel gold en masse from other continents into whatever realm they have decided to take over.
They transfer gold around as a matter of course so that as little as possible is sitting unused at any given time.

None of these things, taken on their own, or even all together with a small group, would be a problem.

The problem is that they can do all this with a couple dozen players. That's enough to completely populate a reasonable-sized realm. (A relatively large one, if they each run two characters, which, on the EC, they can.)

BattleMaster was never designed to accommodate an entire realm's worth of players playing at perfect efficiency.

A realm like this is likely to steamroll almost anything in its path. And even if the rest of the continent manages to get together and defeat them, they'll just pick up and move somewhere else, causing more grief as they take over another realm, and then even more as they proceed to use that realm to destabilize the entire area it's located in.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan