Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Closing Topics

Started by JPierreD, April 07, 2012, 08:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPierreD

I understand the point of closing topics in the Feature Request section, as you want simple and complete requests instead of abstract an everchanging discussions that produce nothing, but I though BM General Discussion was a sub-forum about, well, general discussion.

Just like in many real life idle conversations, threads usually begin with one topic and end with a totally different one. It's natural and not sure if it is so undesirable when we are not focused on a single task (like making a proper feature request).

I personally seek in a game a good and welcoming environment/community. Telling people they cannot chat about BM-related matters seems to me that sends the wrong message to new players. Or to any player.

Please take note that I am attempting a constructive critic, not to just complain for the sake of it.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

The Feature Request section has Board Rules. It's not a free-for-all chat, because it serves a purpose.

JPierreD

Precisely, and I am talking about the BM General Discussion sub-forum.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Penchant

Quote from: Tom on April 07, 2012, 11:09:49 PM
The Feature Request section has Board Rules. It's not a free-for-all chat, because it serves a purpose.
The BM General Discussion should be a "free-for-all" chat as long as it pertains to BM. JPierreD is reffering to the close of "Idea for an in game reason why there are no navies in Battlemaster" which was closed for being off topic from the oringinal topic when egamma and Chenier were talking about food storage and the like.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
― G.K. Chesterton

Geronus

If you're really into the tangent that started in a thread that gets locked, just make a new thread for it. I think the locking is so that each thread stays more or less true to the title. If you start talking about something else entirely, start a new thread so other people can find it and participate if they are so inclined.

Tom

No topic and no board here is entirely free-for-all. Discussions will be moderated, period. If you question the wisdom of that, do some research first.

And yes, topics that have gone off their original topic entirely will be closed or split. If you don't like it, open up a new topic with a proper title. Since you can link, it is easy to point to wherever it was branched off. It really is that simple. It would've taken the same effort as starting this topic.

JPierreD

Quote from: Tom on April 08, 2012, 08:30:17 AM
It would've taken the same effort as starting this topic.

The point was not to have the thread reopened, but to discuss, as you put it, the wisdom of closing topics. I see our opinions differ, oh well.