Author Topic: Re: Topic: Trading Hints  (Read 13187 times)

egamma

Re: Topic: Trading Hints
« Reply #15: April 11, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
If I would travel to palm sea from a region next to it for instance, that's 6-7 turns for me and 6-7 turns back towards my own lands. So imagine if we go a region deeper into enemy territory, where I have no say over where market places will be. Even if I post up buy orders before I leave, my lords will be unable to sell their food.

I have to admit that if you plan a bit ahead you can store enough bushels, but it's not fun/easy/enjoyable to have to worry about such things. Which should also a part of the game I think.

Okay, so 14 turns--7 days. A region deeper--let's give it another 4 days. That's...11 days. Offers stay on the market for up to 14.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 11, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
Okay, so 14 turns--7 days. A region deeper--let's give it another 4 days. That's...11 days.

For a two-region move. Now imagine if you want to go to the next realm over? Travel times on Dwilight are long, but you know that.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: April 11, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
If I would travel to palm sea from a region next to it for instance, that's 6-7 turns for me and 6-7 turns back towards my own lands. So imagine if we go a region deeper into enemy territory, where I have no say over where market places will be. Even if I post up buy orders before I leave, my lords will be unable to sell their food.

That's what stewards are for, then.

egamma

« Reply #18: April 11, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
For a two-region move. Now imagine if you want to go to the next realm over? Travel times on Dwilight are long, but you know that.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dwilight/Bankers_Map_of_Dwilight
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dwilight/Marketplaces_of_Dwilight (yes, I know it needs a table)

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 11, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
That's what stewards are for, then.

Steward is part of the army, basically everyone is fighting. And the lords don't have knights who could be stewards, so even if a trader/steward in the city would stay behind there would be no sell orders.

Okay, so 14 turns--7 days. A region deeper--let's give it another 4 days. That's...11 days. Offers stay on the market for up to 14.

That's one direction Egamma, if I need to visit a market I need to travel the same route back again so that will be closer to 22 days without market.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Topic: Trading Hints
« Reply #20: April 11, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
...dukes? failure to distinguish between city lords and old dukes.

wait till there's a rural duke.
-----

why would a steward need to be trader? he could be a courtier, ambassador, priest. and if they are with the army, they could purchase stuff from foreign realms they are not at war with... (assuming they find any open deals) - though i have no idea if you can access marketplace in hostile regions... (i mean the building right there..)

for that matter, why would a lord need to be in an army?

--
furthermore, is there any reason not to build up tons of granaries? if you have enough capacity, then you can buy up huge loads of food at your leisure.
firefox

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 11, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
You have 5 granaries with a capacity of 2500 bushels.
You have 8511 bushels of food stored.
This store will last you about 43 more days.

It's not like I have a need for food or real problem besides the rotting but it would simply cost too much at this moment to build more granaries.

Fodder, if a lord wants to fight he is part of the army and follows orders of the marshal, in times of war you can't afford half your army wandering at times to post up a sale order. So most food matters will come down to refits. If you have a refit once every 3 weeks then it would require decent build ups of food which might not always be possible and there has to be enough food available to buy it.

And in enemy lands it's the big question if you will find a market place to deal from, so you can't assume you can trade there.

So if the lords could have automated sell orders, then a lord could set up large buy orders before he leaves and then trust on traders. This would make it all easier.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 11, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
You'll just have to plan ahead. Build up stockpiles. Post long-term buy orders. Appoint stewards. Talk to traders.

And after all that, if you still can't manage to keep your city fed while you go on a three-week jaunt away from any marketplace at all, then maybe you just shouldn't spend all that time away from your city. All that extra gold, power, and prestige doesn't exactly come with no strings attached.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: April 11, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »

Yeah, that's something that's not yet finished and I might yet change it a little. I'm thinking about doubling the amount of food that a granary can store, before I add rot back in.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 12, 2012, 12:08:36 AM »
Yeah, that's something that's not yet finished and I might yet change it a little. I'm thinking about doubling the amount of food that a granary can store, before I add rot back in.

It'd be nice at least for Dwilight, because of Winter.

Not really needed anywhere else, though. Granaries ARE cheaper than ever, after all.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 12, 2012, 12:09:50 AM »
FEI has winter, too.

I'd love to see double-sized granaries. There's plenty of food I *could* buy, but don't because I can't fit it in my granaries.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 14, 2012, 12:19:36 AM »
This store will last you about 43 more days.

It's not like I have a need for food or real problem besides the rotting but it would simply cost too much at this moment to build more granaries.

Fodder, if a lord wants to fight he is part of the army and follows orders of the marshal, in times of war you can't afford half your army wandering at times to post up a sale order. So most food matters will come down to refits. If you have a refit once every 3 weeks then it would require decent build ups of food which might not always be possible and there has to be enough food available to buy it.

And in enemy lands it's the big question if you will find a market place to deal from, so you can't assume you can trade there.

So if the lords could have automated sell orders, then a lord could set up large buy orders before he leaves and then trust on traders. This would make it all easier.

1) why are you fighting so far away from home

2) so you leave no nobles at home to fight off monsters or undeads

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 14, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »

He is, most probably, not fighting. Dwilight is a big place, and a lot of people like to travel around. Priests, ambassadors, traders, etc.

And if he is fighting, that's possibly where the closest realm is!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 14, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »

2) so you leave no nobles at home to fight off monsters or undeads

1) I'm talking about the region of the enemy that borders my realm borders... Not even taking into account the travel time to my region, but that's not really relevant for the discussion as I could force a region lord into building a market near the border.

2) No, why would I? Lands are populated, gold plenty, we have some advies so the random rogue spawn we will just defeat on our way back to refit. And with the long travel times it's important you have everyone you can together with you as it's almost impossible to reinforce yourself on short notice. The idea is to win and not lose coz a few nobles stay behind to wait.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 14, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »
as previously stated.. doesn't stop you from stockpiling a ton of food before you go off to war. long enough to cover a few weeks for each to and fro from battlefield.

each buy (or sell for that matter) offer stands for 2 weeks exactly, so it's entirely possible to have it fulfilled by someone else whilst you are off to war.

i think no one has mentioned for certain whether it's possible to use enemy's marketplace as yet. though that's more of an occasional bonus if it happens.
firefox