Author Topic: Re: Topic: Trading Hints  (Read 13440 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Topic: Trading Hints
« Topic Start: April 11, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
Quote from: Tom
I still see many realm-wide requests for rural lords to put up sell offers so the city lords can buy the food.

Maybe you should consider it the other way around. The new trade system is built with a "what I need" mentality in mind. If a city needs food, it is much better off putting up buy offers than waiting for other regions to put up sell offers. First off, the delay is shorter, second there are more options for getting the food, third you can have the traders broker your deals, making everything a lot easier for you.

Theoretically, the entire trade system should work completely without the need of additional messages. If you need food, setting up a buy offer is a much more effective and precise communication than a realm-wide message. If you have food to sell, putting it on the market is a much better way to announce so than posting a letter.

Try it. If you do this for a while, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised how smoothly it works without all the micro-management of telling others what to do.

Or, if lords could put automatic buy offers to reduce the burden of trade back closer to historical levels (there has always been a way to automate food dealings for as far as I can remember, save for transition periods), then we'd see truly hassle and micro-management free trade.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #1: April 11, 2012, 02:37:20 AM »
Automatic buy offers are not possible. Automatic sell offers are an accepted feature request.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 11, 2012, 04:18:58 AM »
Automatic buy offers are not possible. Automatic sell offers are an accepted feature request.

So, Dukes HAVE to be active, but rural lords don't have to be active?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 11, 2012, 04:27:04 AM »
Don't be ridiculous. If you're "active" enough to avoid autopausing you're active enough to post a set of 7 or 8 trade offers once a week. If you think you won't be around, post twice as many.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 11, 2012, 04:46:37 AM »
It just seems unusual.

Is is a coding thing that makes it not possible or is it a decision that has been made?

If its a coding issue, I am quite understanding. If not, I don't understand why there couldn't simply be an option to: Place a new 500 bushel buy offer every X days for Y gold per 100.

I mean the same argument could be made that automatic sell offers don't need to be present since anyone should be active enough to do it.

The main thing I think is its just a hassle for some people. They don't want to deal with food at all.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 11, 2012, 05:25:17 AM »
The reason its not possible is because the duke has to pay for the food when he sets up the deal, but what happens when for some reason he doesn't have the money but the offer automatically is made which should take money from him but can't. Automatic sell offers are possible since you get gold not lose, so you will never have it where you can't get the gold bonds from selling because that just doesn't make sense but you won't always have money to buy.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 11, 2012, 05:52:16 AM »
The reason its not possible is because the duke has to pay for the food when he sets up the deal, but what happens when for some reason he doesn't have the money but the offer automatically is made which should take money from him but can't. Automatic sell offers are possible since you get gold not lose, so you will never have it where you can't get the gold bonds from selling because that just doesn't make sense but you won't always have money to buy.

That makes sense.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 11, 2012, 06:38:26 AM »
So, Dukes HAVE to be active, but rural lords don't have to be active?

If you are a Duke and you cannot spend time to even post a damn food order then you will either be ousted soon for incompetence or your realm is dead and you are likely one of its causes of defunction.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 11, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
If you are a Duke and you cannot spend time to even post a damn food order then you will either be ousted soon for incompetence or your realm is dead and you are likely one of its causes of defunction.

Cheers!

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 11, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »

Or you know, you are in the field traveling in winter and not to expect a market for the coming two weeks..

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 11, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
Or you know, you are in the field traveling in winter and not to expect a market for the coming two weeks..

And don't have sufficient reserves which you should have planned prior to starting that trip, and refuse to appoint a steward. That's a lot of mistakes to make at once.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: April 11, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
Don't be ridiculous. If you're "active" enough to avoid autopausing you're active enough to post a set of 7 or 8 trade offers once a week.

And why even that? Post one big one and let the traders worry about the details. Right now trader brokering doesn't work well because too few people actually put up bigger offers because they are afraid that trader brokering won't work. It needs a push to get moving, that's all.

Maybe we can actually do both buy and sell offers automatically. But in order to make this also push trading, I would limit it to exactly one per region, so it can't be split up. If you want to do micro-management, you have to do it manually. Buy orders could be done automatically using tax gold. Is there already a feature request on the bug tracker that I could add my thoughts to? (sorry, lazy this morning)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: April 11, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

You do not have to be in your region to trade from or to it. Any region with a marketplace will do.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 11, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
You do not have to be in your region to trade from or to it. Any region with a marketplace will do.

In Dwilight, it's not impossible to undertake a trip that will keep you away from a marketplace for a long time. Sallowtown-Donghaiwei, for example, or Twainville-Echiur through the Zuma's.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 11, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
If I would travel to palm sea from a region next to it for instance, that's 6-7 turns for me and 6-7 turns back towards my own lands. So imagine if we go a region deeper into enemy territory, where I have no say over where market places will be. Even if I post up buy orders before I leave, my lords will be unable to sell their food.

I have to admit that if you plan a bit ahead you can store enough bushels, but it's not fun/easy/enjoyable to have to worry about such things. Which should also a part of the game I think.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:01:07 AM by D`Este »