Author Topic: Seeking Active Players interested in Military Dominance  (Read 34821 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I'm with Velax on this one. While one side gets giddy about the idea of an influx of active characters and the potential to run through the island, all of that seems to be greatly magnified (and possible) on a place like FEI that has low playerbase and only 5 realms. Honestly, 10-15 characters appearing in Zonasa all at once is nearly a 10% island-wide population boom. If you count only active, mobile soldier-types, I'd venture a guess to say that number is much closer to a 20% increase.

You do your clan-not-clan on another island and it can test military might, influence, or whatever else you want. You do it on FEI (or the Colonies, probably) and you change the face of the entire island.

On top of the fact that yeah, not sure that war is actually happening. Ceasefire is in the works already.

To add some more statistics to the pile:

Adding 15 characters to the Principality of Zonasa would cause them to make up over a third of the realm just by themselves, and, as Morningstar points out, nearly 10% of the entire population of the continent. For comparison, the next-smallest continent by noble population is Beluaterra, where the clan would make up only a little over 5% of the continent's population, and on Atamara, they'd only be 3%.

This sort of thing would, indeed, be deeply unbalancing to the entire Far East, which really seems to me to miss the whole point of the clan discussion in the first place—that is, the real problem with clans is not so much that the people in them break the rules by their clan activities, but that clans are bad for the game because they unbalance it.

If you want to do this, then do it on the East Continent or Atamara. There are wars aplenty on those continents—the moreso because they have nine and fourteen realms respectively, compared to the Far East Island's six—and plenty of realms that it would be possible to add an elite fighting force to without completely hijacking the entire realm for the clan (which is one of the things Tom explicitly states is not kosher in the FAQ about clans).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan