Author Topic: Tax rate  (Read 13137 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Tax rate
« Reply #15: April 19, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
+1

Increase by 1% with each tax day and watch the magic happen :P

As previous region lord, I increase by 5%, then reduce by 1-2% in just 1 tax day. Peasants complain all the time, we just need to get their voices out of our head ;)

Why only per tax day?

I usually work with chunks. I increased it from 7 to 15% after darkest hour of the north got killed in my city (dropped it 17% in one day before he arrived :P). I raised it to 21% a few days later and back to 24% a couple of days after that. That gave me plenty of opportunity to repair all the damage the siege did, and whatever damage the tax raises may have done (though I'm not sure if they did any).

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 19, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
you'll notice damage when it says.. taxes are way too high or some such and there's strikes all over the place... dropping production by a fair bit.
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: April 19, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
You'll notice before that as there are several levels of warning.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 20, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »
oh yeah.. i know... but you can safely ignore the "some bitching".. whilst "many bitching" usually means (mostly) morale would require a fair bit of work...

"Taxes are too high, hurting production and trade."  ... usually i drop rate once i see that...

that said.. once upon a time.. hvrek's priest lord said he got 24 or so % off a rural that's 4 or so region away from capital.. then again... presumably 100% followers too and fair bit of court/etc..
firefox

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: April 20, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »
Meh. I never pay attention to the complaints of the peasants, under the old estate system I think I went beyond the "production and trade suffer" mark. Morale dropped 15% a day but you could handle it with enough support for production and daily courts.

What happened to the "The peasants notice they pay more (or less) taxes than their neighbours." btw? I haven't seen it in ages, did it get removed? I thought it was a pretty cool feature.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 20, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
It's still on stable.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: April 20, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
What happened to the "The peasants notice they pay more (or less) taxes than their neighbours." btw? I haven't seen it in ages, did it get removed? I thought it was a pretty cool feature.

It's gone as an explicit warning, but tax rate is taken into account on emmigrations. So if yours is much higher, you won't get a message, but you might notice less people moving in and more people moving out.

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 20, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
One of the lords in D'Hara is experimenting with setting up lots of tiny, but 100% efficient, vacant estates, to see if that will net more gold than have bigger, but less efficient, vacant estates or wildlands. Does efficiency apply to vacant estates, before or after the 50% gold loss?

That was actually me doing the testing. I can verify that you get less gold with larger estates that are empty and less than 100% efficient. My suggestion is to either not have empty estates or have smaller empty estates that are 100% efficient.
Forbes Family

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #23: April 20, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
I wonder if this is intended behaviour, as it encourages lords to create more vacant estates for potential knights.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

« Reply #24: April 21, 2012, 06:18:07 AM »
I wonder if this is intended behaviour, as it encourages lords to create more vacant estates for potential knights.

Or...to just have vacant lands.

What I do is size my estates so they are all the same size, with one vacant. When I get another knight, I shrink the existing estates and create a new vacant one. Hmm. Maybe I should set the vacant estate to 25% so that it's 100% efficient....I'll have to think about it. Don't want to burn hours right now.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #25: April 21, 2012, 07:08:44 AM »
In the new estate system, isn't the knight the proactive one, picking from a choice of vacant estates?  I don't understand what you mean by "when I get a new knight I resize the estate".
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 21, 2012, 07:31:02 AM »
In the new estate system, isn't the knight the proactive one, picking from a choice of vacant estates?  I don't understand what you mean by "when I get a new knight I resize the estate".
When a noble joins his region as a knight, then he resizes the estates so that he can have a new vacant estate and thus a new knight.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 21, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »
That just seems very time-consuming...

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #28: April 21, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
That is very unfair to the new noble, who perhaps chose your vacant estate because it was large.

It's like advertising "buy 1 get 2 free" and then after you buy 1 he's like "well, I gotta sell the other 2 to other people, so nothing for you".

>:(

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 21, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
*sees a 25% estate*

New Knight: "Score!"

Lord: "Welcome to Keplerville, New Knight!"

*estate shrinks to 20%*

New Knight: "wtf?!"
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.