Author Topic: Traders Feedback  (Read 30279 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Traders Feedback
« Reply #75: May 02, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »
His capacity is 6000. 1% of 6000 is 60. His region consumes 190. Total food loss with food stores full is 190+60=250. 60/250=.24 which is about 1/4 just like what he said. Though if you meant the whole him saying it will only last 24 days, you are right about him being wrong . The correct amount time the food will last is about 31.5 days I believe though I may have made a mistake.

The math he was looking for, however I think, was how long 11000 bushels would last with a capacity of 6000. When food stocks will equal or be under 6000, I think your formula will apply (I didn't really analyze it much). However, one must factor in a food loss that is 1% of an ever-decreasing surplus.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: May 02, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
The math he was looking for, however I think, was how long 11000 bushels would last with a capacity of 6000. When food stocks will equal or be under 6000, I think your formula will apply (I didn't really analyze it much). However, one must factor in a food loss that is 1% of an ever-decreasing surplus.

But I don't see how it would be a wise policy to let your surplus decrease down to zero. It seems to me that keeping your granaries full and topping them when they decrease to less than, let's say, three weeks of storage, would make sense.

I wonder how many historical medieval cities had such low stores of food. We have stories of year-long sieges, so clearly it wasn't impossible.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: May 02, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »
But I don't see how it would be a wise policy to let your surplus decrease down to zero. It seems to me that keeping your granaries full and topping them when they decrease to less than, let's say, three weeks of storage, would make sense.

I wonder how many historical medieval cities had such low stores of food. We have stories of year-long sieges, so clearly it wasn't impossible.

Obviously, the plan is not to purchase food once a year, for the whole year. But a capacity for a year's worth without imports is an arbitrary safezone that would allow to easily overcome embargoes and major food loss from trade partners due to conflict or bad harvests.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: May 02, 2012, 01:41:43 PM »
Obviously, the plan is not to purchase food once a year, for the whole year. But a capacity for a year's worth without imports is an arbitrary safezone that would allow to easily overcome embargoes and major food loss from trade partners due to conflict or bad harvests.

Yes, exactly. But that means the diminishing losses from your ever-decreasing surplus apply in your calculation of how long you can last, but unless you are actually embargoed they do not apply, and you do suffer the full loss on average.

If 25% is an average number, then that means a 25% increase in Dwilight's average food consumption. My own townsland loses 135% of its consumption to rot.... but it's easier to go overboard in a townsland than a city!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: May 02, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »

Historically, people also harvested the bulk of their food once a year, then had to figure out how to store all of it through the winter and the rest of the following year without spoilage—which was really very difficult with the technology they had.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #80: May 02, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »

A lot of food was "stored" alive in those times. Once of the reasons that cities had livestock inside was exactly for this purpose. In BM, this is simulated by the fact that even under siege, the city will still generate a bit of food. If you really want to do the math, you have to take production into account as well as consumption. While the production of most cities isn't all that much, when you calculate food over a period of weeks, it does start to make a difference.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: May 02, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
A lot of food was "stored" alive in those times. Once of the reasons that cities had livestock inside was exactly for this purpose. In BM, this is simulated by the fact that even under siege, the city will still generate a bit of food.

That makes a lot of sense. I always thought that those numbers were high if you only took into account roof gardens....

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: May 23, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
Playing my Banker/Trader/Steward....

I only just started to leave my realm in search of food, and already I can see there is some adjusting to be had on my part. I need to carry bonds with me now, in order to trade outside my realm (can someone explain to me why foreign banks wont accept bonds then?). I have to deal much more with lords now. Would be nice to know if the region has a steward, and who that is. Could lead to more fruitful transactions. I can't rely at all on being able to broker any deals (not that I would really want to at this point, as I only want to bring food into my realm) since almost everything I see on the market is to buy buy buy.

There is also that nagging annoyance of a billion 100 bushel buy orders. Why can't we set up a 1000 bushel buy order, and let people fill them 100 bushels at a time? And for that matter, why can't we set permanent offers?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: May 23, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
you "need" to carry bonds with you?

eh.. yes and no. if you go a long way.. you get your taxes in bonds anyway... so you don't need to start with anything.

and you need bonds to trade inside your own realm anyway.. location makes no difference. the foreign bonds thing.. is just a game balance thingy... bonds don't get robbed and so it's fairly risk free to hump a load of bonds to another realm, as opposed to a load of gold. (yes.. trade is fairly risk free too... but they are sticking in delay or some such later)

eh.. as for the 1k vs 100 bushels thing. technically, a trader can match up the 1k and 100 bushels (eh.. if there are 10x100 and 1x1k)...
firefox

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: August 05, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
I think that a mechanic that is permanently recurring that you have to deal with manually trade by trade is stupid.

egamma

« Reply #85: August 05, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
I think that a mechanic that is permanently recurring that you have to deal with manually trade by trade is stupid.

and the mechanics that manually requires you to repair your men's equipment, send out scouts, travel, join a religion, pay guild dues, etc?

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: August 06, 2012, 04:06:36 AM »
Allow traders to brokers deals where they take a loss.  What concern is it of yours if I choose to lose money sending food to someone?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: August 06, 2012, 04:07:47 AM »
Money laundering. And probably a few various methods of abuse of the trade system.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: August 06, 2012, 04:27:07 AM »
Money laundering. And probably a few various methods of abuse of the trade system.

Define "abuse".  There are ways to get around the no loss limitation, but it makes sense that it is there to being with. I see a trade offer from another realm at 40 and a region in my own realm with a buy order of 25 who will need the food, who cares if I take the loss?  It helps my realm (or my aims) so be it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: August 06, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »
I agree that in certain situations it would be nice to be able to trade at a loss. I'm not arguing that there are no legitimate reasons to be able to do it.

But if that lord in your realm really wants the food, then you can tell him that if he posts an offer for 40, that you can fill it for him.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.