Author Topic: SF ability  (Read 29105 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: SF ability
« Reply #60: May 04, 2012, 04:01:49 AM »
Physics fun fact:
Everything will travel in a parabolic arc so long as there are no other forces acting on it other than gravity.  Wind and air resistance will change the parabola, but it is still essentially a parabola.
As to the point of this statement, I have no idea which has a longer range.  I think bows did.

Very true. Bullets also travel in a parabolic arc. The difference is higher velocity generally means a parabolic arc that approaches a "straight line" for a given target distance.

Greater distance can be achieved (to a a point) by increasing the angle of fire and increasing the parabolic arc. Anyone that has played artillery games like Scorched Earth would be familiar with this. I believe this is what fodder was thinking about. On the battlefield bows would fire volleys in high arcs to increase their range, at the cost of not being able to accurately aim at single targets. I am reasonably sure that crossbows would do the same. As the selected target moves closer obviously the angle of fire would be reduced to compensate.

I own a WW2 vintage Lee-Enfield rifle. The Iron sights allow for shots of several miles by firing at a 45 degree angle. Of course with the weapon in that position accurately aiming is impossible but I suppose rifle volley would work just as well as a arrow volley, its just not a efficient use of ammo.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.