Author Topic: Stronghold locations  (Read 12939 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Stronghold locations
« Reply #30: April 27, 2012, 01:59:06 AM »
So I'll continue to say choke points(and adding strongholds to them) will continue to be less fun in BM than they seem on paper.

To a certain extent, this is true: putting a stronghold at, for instance, Yggdramir on Dwilight would cause some serious problems, because there really is no other way around.

However, first of all, there are very few chokepoints in BattleMaster for which this is actually true. Looking at Atamara, my first impulse was to put one at Mansbridge/Winwich. But it's not very far to go around through the mountains (and those are Atamara mountains; they barely slow you down at all). Then I looked at the Trawiy/Hidale bridge in the west. But there are mountains just a short trip to the east, and another bridge a short trip to the west. 

Yes, it would require going around, and taking a little more timeā€”but that's hardly a complete blockage.

Second of all, maps are much harder to change than code, and changes to code to make less direct forms of warfare more prominent and viable are likely to come well before maps with strongholds at chokepoints.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan