Author Topic: Mobile Site  (Read 18767 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Mobile Site
« Reply #15: May 08, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
Is this just a CSS/skin or completely new files? Because we can't maintain two sets of everything.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 08, 2012, 05:08:13 PM »
Is this just a CSS/skin or completely new files? Because we can't maintain two sets of everything.

It's jQuery mobile.  CSS, the backend JS, and a bunch of tags strewn about the various pages that should be ignored by non-mobile browsers.  There are one or two pages that could benefit from mobile replacements, but I think we can do almost as good by loading up mobile-specific bits with includes.  Rest assured, I'm not interested in creating a code fork in another platform. ;)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #17: May 08, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »

Agreed completely.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: May 08, 2012, 11:07:32 PM »
It's jQuery mobile.  CSS, the backend JS, and a bunch of tags strewn about the various pages that should be ignored by non-mobile browsers.  There are one or two pages that could benefit from mobile replacements, but I think we can do almost as good by loading up mobile-specific bits with includes.  Rest assured, I'm not interested in creating a code fork in another platform. ;)

That is utterly fantastic. I can't wait to see this in the repository to pick it apart and learn how it works. I know I want this for another project of mine.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 08, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »
That is utterly fantastic. I can't wait to see this in the repository to pick it apart and learn how it works. I know I want this for another project of mine.

And being able to build it in from the start—or even apply it to a reasonably modern, clearly-constructed site—will be worlds easier than what we're doing here ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 08, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »
Would be possible to give these kind of flashy overlays/skins to the BM website in general?

I think it would do a lot to help initial "first impression" of the site.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 08, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »
Would be possible to give these kind of flashy overlays/skins to the BM website in general?

Yes.  Easier, in fact, since jQuery and jQuery mobile are virtually identical libraries.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #22: May 09, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »

That doesn't need many code changes. What it needs it someone with graphics design knowledge willing to tackle it and give us a great CSS file.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 09, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
That doesn't need many code changes. What it needs it someone with graphics design knowledge willing to tackle it and give us a great CSS file.

And probably some additional and replacement images.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 09, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »

But since I'm guessing we lack that... wouldn't this be the next best thing?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #25: May 09, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
But since I'm guessing we lack that... wouldn't this be the next best thing?

No. A good mobile look does not automatically make a good desktop look.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 09, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »
No. A good mobile look does not automatically make a good desktop look.

Well yes, I know that, I just meant if it simple to throw these skins over our mobile site, would it not be easy to through some desk-top sized appropriate ones over the regular site?

I don't know enough about this stuff perhaps, I'll stop bugging you all let you get on with your work.  :P

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 09, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
Well yes, I know that, I just meant if it simple to throw these skins over our mobile site, would it not be easy to through some desk-top sized appropriate ones over the regular site?

I don't know enough about this stuff perhaps, I'll stop bugging you all let you get on with your work.  :P

Like I said, it's probably easier than the mobile site.  Harder to strip things down to a more minimalist state and still have it be fully functional, IMHO. 

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #28: May 09, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
New desktop CSS - easy
Good, well designed new desktop CSS - hard
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: May 09, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
We've had an offer to design for us from a player; since he hasn't posted it here, I don't know if he wants it to be publicly known yet, but he's contacted both me and Tom.
Timothy Collett