Author Topic: Granary count on FoodReport.php  (Read 6325 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Granary count on FoodReport.php
« Topic Start: April 30, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
One, ask why people don't like the food system
1) Managing food for larger, multi-duchy realms is a pain. It's a continuous fight and struggle with lords who either don't want to cooperate, or can't be bothered to cooperate. And every time a peasant starves, it's *your* fault. (Or at least everyone blames you. And I know that I've scapegoated the banker often enough for my own political agenda. (Sorry, Sparticus, you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Nothing personal, honest. :-[ ))
2) It's very demoralizing, especially if your realm runs a deficit. It's a constant struggle against which you cannot make headway, or dig yourself out of. With a war, you get a sense of progress. There's usually some ends to which you can look and say "When we get this far, we're done." Or if you're losing, you still know "When they get that far, we're done." But with the banker, all you have to look forward to is ... another week of starving peasants and angry lords.

Two, what do you even need the information for? Minimize rot? Please. How exactly do you plan to do that?
If you have some cooperative lords, you can move your excess storage from a region that has more than it can store to a region that has free space. We just did that in Astrum, moving several thousands bushels from city to city to get it stored in a warehouse before rot starts up again. This allows a lord that *likes* buying food, and playing the food game, to feed the realm, and make it easier for those of us that don't want to deal with it. The Duke says "I have 3,000 food for you." I pop up three 1,000 bushel orders, and we're done for a few weeks. He can go on buying food, and we have lots of food stored that doesn't rot.

Overall, I don't see any reason to not give the banker this information. They can get the info just by asking the lord. Would any lord really tell the banker "It's none of your business"? I mean, they could, but why? Not putting it in the report seems to me to be needlessly obscuring information in order to force people to interact over meaningless trivialities.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.