Author Topic: Editor Issues  (Read 7114 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Editor Issues
« Reply #15: February 07, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
This is what you get when you copy a couple scribe notes form the scribe note page, and paste them into the editor:

When you send it, they look like this:

If you try and paste them as plain text, they look OK in the editor, but they still send as one long line. Copying multiple scribe notes from the list and sending them in a message is a laborious process of copy/paste/preview/edit/send.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 07, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
Again, I think the real solution to this is to rework sending scribe notes into an attachment mechanism.

Tom, do you want me to start working on that? I know more or less what will be required...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: February 07, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
ok, got it.

Yes, the real solution is writing a plugin for ckeditor.

I've enabled tables in the purifyer for now, that should take care of it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 07, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
I've enabled tables in the purifyer for now, that should take care of it.
Well, it kinda-sorta helps. The problem now is that the table structure is so character-intensive that it's blowing through the 5k character limit after just 4 or 5 notes. I copied 13 scribe notes to the clipboard and pasted them into the editor. when previewing it, it cuts the message halfway through the 5th scribe note. If you paste the 13 scribe notes, view the source, then copy the source into another editor to view the character count, you see that it's almost 14k characters. Due to the formatting.

It looks like the message system is taking the first 5k raw characters, truncating the rest, then sanitizing it. It should do it the other way: Sanitize to get rid of the cruft, then truncate what's left over. After previewing the scribe notes message, a source code view of the 4.5 scribe notes that didn't get truncated showed that it was only only about 800 characters. There's no reason it should have been cut there.

This is also causing problems with copy/pasting messages, too, since those are encapsulated into table cells. I copy/pasted four messages and previewed them. They were truncated after only ~2,400 visible characters. The rest of what was filling out the 5k limit was all invisible table markup and formatting.

If we're planning on keeping this style of rich text in the messaging system, then I think we really need to look at significantly increasing the message size limit to compensate for the overhead of the HTML markup in the messages.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kaltenthal

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 13, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
Well, yes.

I meant posting scout reports.  ??? i do play BM since 2006 now and do think that i should have gotten around the idea of how to post scouting reports.....

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: February 13, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »
Can we also have the return of the note on how many characters we are using as we write a message or paste into a message? It'd be nice to know if we're going to have our message cut off before submitting it, if we don't click preview. I've primarily used preview when using rich text editor functions, but unless I want certain things underlined etc...then I never worry about it.

I also support an increase in the maximum message size.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: February 13, 2012, 10:35:53 PM »
Unfortunately, all the character count plugins I've tried are semi-functional, most were written for older versions.

All it needs is someone with javascript know-how to write a plugin.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 13, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »
Unfortunately, all the character count plugins I've tried are semi-functional, most were written for older versions.

All it needs is someone with javascript know-how to write a plugin.

I have some javascript know how, what I don't have right now is a lot of time. Working two jobs is time consuming.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.