Author Topic: Religion is missing something?  (Read 81734 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion is missing something?
« Reply #60: May 26, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
I think religions, in the eyes of clergy, exist for two reasons:

1) to spread a set of beliefs
2) to gain power, wealth and influence
I agree. IC/RP-wise, these are the two I'd go with.

The first is purely RP for us. None of us actually believe in the religions, so few of us do much to RP that we have a terror of everlasting Hellfire if we stray from the True Faith. This bit is here just for the RP fun.
True. It does make for some good RP, especially if you're the Church of Ibladesh fighting against those heathen Perdanese, and calling down the wrath of Ramsus upon the unbelievers! And then the heathen Perdanese taunt the Ibladeshians about how their gods have abandoned them, and allowed them to lose, because their faith is false and weak. :)

The second is where I think we can expand the game a bit. I picture a founder of a major religion to be on par with a Duke, but game mechanics give them almost nothing. I'd like to see a few things added that would make religion an alternative way for characters to climb the power ladder.
Yes, game mechanics give religious founders very little. It is up to the players to make that happen, and invest power into their religious leaders. The same thing actually happens with realm rulers, too. Realm rulers really have very little game-mechanics powers. They can talk to people, but so can religion founders. They can exile people, but religious founders can kick people out of their religions. They can set realm diplomacy, but religious founders can set official religious views. In fact, pretty much all the authority of the ruler comes from the other players voluntarily subjugating their characters to the realm ruler's power. In the same vein, true religious power would have to come from players voluntarily subjugating their characters to religious authority.

Some random ideas, not all of which are good or practical, and are more for brainstorming purposes:

1) church receives taxes from regions, based on what % of believers they have

2) church receives additional taxes from temples, based on level

or, perhaps a temple or shrine allows you to collect taxes?

How about if the amount collected reduced the realm's tax collection by that same amount? After all, there's only so much money to go around. The peasants won't stand for endless layers of additional taxation without complaint.

But, as I've said before, this would only provide greater incentive for the realm to subjugate the religion. Any religion who attempted to fight the realm's power structure would be replaced with one that supported the realm. Unless the players are willing to allow the erosion of their character's authority/power, it won't happen.

3) new rulers (maybe only Kings?) must be "crowned" before they take office (could lead to an elder refusing, and the new ruler shopping around until he finds a religion that will rubberstamp him)
I really can't think of any way that would really work.

4) ruler's religion automatically becomes State religion, with good/bad effects
Interesting idea. Perhaps depending on the government type? Monarchy/tyranny/theocracy yes, republic/democracy no. Although I am a firm believer in that in a theocracy, only a member of the official state religion should be able to run for council positions in the first place.

5) elders of state religion may receive additional votes, like a Duke or Lord would
Additional secular authority for religious elders in a realm that has it as their official state religion is an interesting idea. Rather than see religious figures get more votes, though, I'd like to see an option where specific realm positions could be designated as appointed by the church. i.e. the church picks the judge, or the church appoints dukes.

6) founders/elders may sponsor armies
An interesting idea, and one that is often proposed. I understand, though, that this would be a coding nightmare to implement if it allowed the assignment of nobles from multiple realms.

7) a "founders" channel, like ruler, banker, general's equivalent
That has been proposed and rejected. Religious founders are not rulers or council level political offices. They don't get their own channel. The restriction of island-wide communications to realm-based authority positions is intentional.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.