Author Topic: Overhaul of character creation process  (Read 7877 times)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
Re: Overhaul of character creation process
« Reply #15: May 23, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
So there would be no way for a realm to differentiate itself to new players other than setting up the nicest vacant estates?

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 23, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
Which will likely lead to "bait estates", where a realm in need of Nobles sets up the nicest estate then shrinks it once it's filled. 

Can we add estate descriptions to the suggestion (written by the region lord or the estate's previous owner, much like the region description currently is), to give the new noble something to judge on besides how much gold the estate is -currently- worth?  I'd rather go to an estate where the lord took the effort to describe it (even a short "An estate with lands on the ocean side of the region, with a cliff side manor.  It manages the shipping revenue from the port and fresh seafood market as well as the realm's premier shipyard") than one worth 300 gold.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 23, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »
Which will likely lead to "bait estates", where a realm in need of Nobles sets up the nicest estate then shrinks it once it's filled.
Which will lead to angry players that don't like that lord, and won't stay. If you do something like that, you're shooting yourself in the foot. If I was a lord in that realm, and knew that someone was doing that, I would go out of my way to get that knight a better estate somewhere else.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 23, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
Can we add estate descriptions to the suggestion (written by the region lord or the estate's previous owner, much like the region description currently is), to give the new noble something to judge on besides how much gold the estate is -currently- worth?  I'd rather go to an estate where the lord took the effort to describe it (even a short "An estate with lands on the ocean side of the region, with a cliff side manor.  It manages the shipping revenue from the port and fresh seafood market as well as the realm's premier shipyard") than one worth 300 gold.
Give new nobles the opportunity to view the region description prior to joining? The lord can describe the estates there,without the need for a new mechanic to store estate descriptions.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #19: May 23, 2012, 07:44:10 PM »
I, for one, don't think that the "estate bait" would happen. Those peasants would have to come from somewhere and you would be severely hindering your realm as a whole to set up a trophy estate to attract a new player. Definitely not something that is repeatable, at least.

I don't know the view on inserting some AJAX elements into the screen, but when you select an estate it could bring up the realm map, realm and region description on screen real estate. That is, if we are set on making the choice *just* an estate.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 23, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »
Give new nobles the opportunity to view the region description prior to joining? The lord can describe the estates there,without the need for a new mechanic to store estate descriptions.

This would be a good motivation for people to actually do a good write-up on their region (beside the point, but a definite positive).

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 23, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »
use the wiki for writeups.
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #22: May 23, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
There are various ways to add more information as popups, etc. - once we have the basic list view done. So first things first.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 23, 2012, 10:33:13 PM »
This would be a good motivation for people to actually do a good write-up on their region (beside the point, but a definite positive).

And give cool names to the estates. It's a win-win.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #24: May 23, 2012, 11:21:51 PM »
There are various ways to add more information as popups, etc. - once we have the basic list view done. So first things first.

Yes, more information is something we can add later. Let's just get the basic stuff implemented.