Author Topic: The War of the Hearth Right  (Read 70015 times)

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Sorraine
« Reply #120: August 20, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
I, as a player, can see why things were transferred. But as a character, I didnt think the RPs explained it. The character of Arke also seemed to come out of nowhere. When he arrived on FEI it was explained as an "ooops, I emigrated to the wrong island, leaving in two weeks. Oh, by the way, your religion sucks". Now here he is killing the king?

I understand *what* happened. I just have no idea *why* most of it happened. But it will make the future interesting.

I too was dreadfully confused by all of this. It seems shoddily contrived, and I'll have no part in it. Everyone talks about how great of a realm Sorraine is, because of all the roleplaying, but only a few rare moments were actually interesting to me; the rest was just garbage. It seems that random chaos and disjointed storytelling translate into "good literature" for a lot of people. Did the Nobility of the Middle Ages really behave like so many children in a sandbox? I mean, yeah, it wasn't exactly a bright moment for humanity, but there was some sense of decorum and reason.

It was also disappointing that my request to the Realm Council went completely ignored. When Sorraine left Cathay the night before the allied forces were to fight in Pates, Lendin, in so many words, accused basically the entire government (Caspius, Selene, and Mathilda) of cowardice and heresy (A true Sartanian never leaves on the eve of battle, or deserts a friend in need!). I guess they were all just too busy trying to figure out their own personal RPs to bother.

By contrast, Arcaea seems excellent, and I'm glad I joined! The people actually speak like Medieval Nobles, and there is *gasp* some respect for the hierarchy! Fancy that!

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #121: August 20, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »
I at least had a reason for my region leaving the realm. There was some good rp in Sorraine, but that's passed. The best RP I'm currently seeing is that of Mathilda and Selene. The rest I mostly ignore.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122: August 20, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
Hmm... I wouldn't say the realm is that bad. I'm having quite a bit of fun there. Of course Taylin is a bit of a bitch, and rather seems to enjoy causing a bit of chaos. Unfortunately, Marshal Lendin Bendix was on the wrong end of one of those episodes. Nothing personal, honest.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123: August 20, 2012, 09:19:11 PM »
The best RP I'm currently seeing is that of Mathilda and Selene. The rest I mostly ignore.
What?! You ignored my RP?!

*Must stab!*

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #124: August 20, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
Which character are you? *is not very good with memory*

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #125: August 20, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »
Which character are you? *is not very good with memory*

What?! He ignored your forum-post?!

*Must stab!*

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #126: August 20, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
*dies of multiple stab wounds while trying to remember what he was thinking of*

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127: August 20, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »
:P

Taylin, Duchess of Akanos. The one who had an argument with Marshal Lendin, walked away from his army, and declined the general's request that she return to the army.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #128: August 20, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »
Oh, that. Yeah, I didn't notice. I've mostly been focused on the 500 bushels I sold to Topenah that I got from Ohnar West.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #129: August 21, 2012, 01:48:59 AM »
I too was dreadfully confused by all of this. It seems shoddily contrived, and I'll have no part in it. Everyone talks about how great of a realm Sorraine is, because of all the roleplaying, but only a few rare moments were actually interesting to me; the rest was just garbage. It seems that random chaos and disjointed storytelling translate into "good literature" for a lot of people. Did the Nobility of the Middle Ages really behave like so many children in a sandbox? I mean, yeah, it wasn't exactly a bright moment for humanity, but there was some sense of decorum and reason.

It was also disappointing that my request to the Realm Council went completely ignored. When Sorraine left Cathay the night before the allied forces were to fight in Pates, Lendin, in so many words, accused basically the entire government (Caspius, Selene, and Mathilda) of cowardice and heresy (A true Sartanian never leaves on the eve of battle, or deserts a friend in need!). I guess they were all just too busy trying to figure out their own personal RPs to bother.

By contrast, Arcaea seems excellent, and I'm glad I joined! The people actually speak like Medieval Nobles, and there is *gasp* some respect for the hierarchy! Fancy that!

If you felt things were lacking, then you should have contributed ideas; I called for participation and ideas multiple times, but you offered nothing - save accuse people of heresy, like everybody else was doing at the time, except I guess the other accusations were just garbage anyways. On that note, Caspius ignored your letter because it was evidently tied to Garamonde's interests in Cathay. A true Sartanian never shies away from a battle, especially one challenged directly against the faith. A crusade was called against us, and we responded by regrouping the army. Cathay was not in need, as Arcaea's forces alleviated the Sorrainian burden of absence.

On a final note, I'm sorry we didn't make fiction novels that appealed to your tastes. I'd answer this more respectfully, but frankly, the tone in your writing isn't all that respectful.

Edit: I missed some things.

Where did people not "speak" like nobles? I have no idea what you're talking about here, especially when you tie that to proper medieval play. If you were there, then please, enlighten us with your experiences, but frankly, things were much worse and much less reasonable in the middle ages. People were hung all the time, Lendin himself would have been executed for heresy, and so on and so forth.

Respect is earned. Caspius evidently didn't earn the respect of many, through his anger and irrational behavior, making him a perfectly imperfect King. If you think everyone should follow some kind of standard personality and rule, then I think you have a twisted vision of this game. Caspius is nothing compared to Henry VIII, for example, or the many other mad kings. As a consequence of his behavior, there was little respect for the authority of the government in Sorraine.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:49:26 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #130: August 21, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
Did the Nobility of the Middle Ages really behave like so many children in a sandbox?

The nobility of the middle ages placed so much stock in rank and station that you would not really see the kind of lip given to higher-ranking nobles from lower-ranking nobles that you do in BM.  It is not as bad in larger realms like Arcaea precisely because there is a critical mass of nobles such that people are more conscious of their place and there will be a large contingent that speaks out if you disrupt it. I saw the same thing in Lasanar versus some of the smaller realms I've been in (Ohnar probably being the worst in this respect). Lasanar had 60-70 people at its height and the politics that went on were great because you actually had factions in elections and not just handfuls of people.

Sorraine is a tough example because medieval kings were not also elders or heads of their religions. The kind of zealotry that Caspius promoted worked between Catholicism and Islam because they were really the only two shows in town, at least until the 4th Crusade, but even then nobody set out from the beginning to pick on Orthodox Christians so much as Byzantines. It seems more extreme in BM because Sartanism is medium-sized (rather than dominant) and also has a very checkered history on the FEI.

The church/state split in BM is also a little awkward. The whole idea of crusades does not translate well because you can't just up and leave your regular, landed estate in BM and go wander off on crusade -- which is what most everyone on the first crusade did. It wasn't Kings and Princes but a bunch of largely unlanded knights led by a couple of wealthy magnates of whom the highest-ranking one was probably a French count. They did not expect to come back; they expected to settle there and rule lands in the holy land, which many of them did.

Having been in Arcaea for a very long time, I haven't found the former to be true, but the latter is definitely true. Arcaea's size makes it attractive for new nobles and the restored monarchy under Jenred established the King as a dictator who can say or do whatever he wants - and because Arcaea has had a lot of prizes to hand out to loyal nobles, it keeps its Dukes and richer lords fat and happy enough that this works. But things do flare up a few times a year. I haven't seen Velax deal with an Arcaean internal SNAFU yet and am waiting for one to occur that is too large to be put down by his traditional approach to problems of 'everybody stfu, i da boss' which, admittedly, works pretty well in Arcaea most of the time.

Arcaea doesn't have a lot of RP though. It's fun in the 'usually somebody to fight' sense and fun because it has a lot of history.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #131: August 21, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
I haven't seen Velax deal with an Arcaean internal SNAFU yet and am waiting for one to occur that is too large to be put down by his traditional approach to problems of 'everybody stfu, i da boss' which, admittedly, works pretty well in Arcaea most of the time.

This made me grin. Although I like to think I usually put it a little more eloquently than that.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #132: August 21, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
This made me grin. Although I like to think I usually put it a little more eloquently than that.

I suddenly thought of Velax being one of the ork Warbosses from Warhammer 40k, smacking down any noble who gets uppity with his power-klaw...

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #133: August 21, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
I suddenly thought of Velax being one of the ork Warbosses from Warhammer 40k, smacking down any noble who gets uppity with his power-klaw...

Next thing we know Arcaea will be charging into battle screaming "WAAAAAAAAAGH" and "Woo! Dakka Dakka Dakka!"

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #134: August 21, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
"Listen uhp! From now on, da boyz with the pointy metal sticks iz called the Stabbeh Ladz, and the onez that be all scaredy and firez from behind the other boyz will be the Shoota Runtz. Any questions yah bastardz?"