Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

The War of the Hearth Right

Started by Gustav Kuriga, May 24, 2012, 11:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arundel

I would like to see an overall tally of how many battles Kindara and friends have lost/Cathay and friends have won. You'd think them southerners would give up already.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Arundel

SO... Dem battles yee keep losing down der, eh Bardic?
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Scarlett

There haven't been that many pitched battles. Off the top of my head, I think Zonasa has lost a couple of mid-size engagements but won a pretty good battle, and Kindara has lost battles in the open field but then won handily in Hatdhes and also still caused quite a number of casualties even when they lost.

The numerical advantage Cathay-and-friends have is offset by the distance the and-friends part has to march. The down time has been successfully exploited before. I don't think anybody is at the 'giving up' point yet.

Alpha

Quote from: Arundel on September 09, 2012, 11:36:10 AM
I would like to see an overall tally of how many battles Kindara and friends have lost/Cathay and friends have won. You'd think them southerners would give up already.

Kindara lost a battle against Arcaea in Edairn, but dealt about even casualties despite being outnumbered.
Zonasa lost a battle against Arcaea and friends in Ansopen, but it really wasn't a battle because 3/4 of the army had already moved to Palanos.
Zonasa lost a battle against Arcaea and friend in Ansopen when attempting to break out from Zarimel.
Kindara lost a battle against Cathay in Pates, but dealt higher casualties. Also destroyed the walls and drove the region rogue.
Zonasa won a battle against Arcaea and friend in Ansopen despite being out numbered, and drove the region rogue.
Kindara won a battle against Arcaea in Hatdhes.
Zonasa lost a battle against Cathay and friend in Haul. I'm not sure about the impact of that yet.

The battles have been won by the defender in every case but one, which was the Arcaea victory against PoZ rearguard.

I would say the war score is about even.

Velax

Quote from: LGMAlpha on September 09, 2012, 03:34:22 PM
Zonasa won a battle against Arcaea and friend in Ansopen despite being out numbered, and drove the region rogue.

Erm, Arcaea and Cathay won that battle. By a lot. We were in Ansopen and Zonasa were trapped in Zarimel. They tried to break through, but didn't have the numbers. You're thinking of another battle in Ansopen, which was Zonasa vs Cathay, which Zonasa won.

Zonasa lost a battle against Arcaea and friends in Ansopen, but it really wasn't a battle because 3/4 of the army had already moved to Palanos.

They had 5000 CS there, so probably closer to 40% of their army, rather than 25%.

The North has won four major battles (I don't count the win in Haul, as few Zonasan troops were there). The South has won two.

Alpha

Quote from: Velax on September 09, 2012, 06:06:18 PM
Erm, Arcaea and Cathay won that battle. By a lot. We were in Ansopen and Zonasa were trapped in Zarimel. They tried to break through, but didn't have the numbers. You're thinking of another battle in Ansopen, which was Zonasa vs Cathay, which Zonasa won.

They had 5000 CS there, so probably closer to 40% of their army, rather than 25%.

The North has won four major battles (I don't count the win in Haul, as few Zonasan troops were there). The South has won two.

Looks like I left out one battle in Ansopen. They won when they defended, lost when they attacked, and lost when they weren't there.

Ah, I was thinking something like 4000/13000CS left behind for that battle. Either way, they were refitted in about 2 days so I don't think it was all that significant.

BardicNerd

Kindara lost a battle against Arcaea in Edairn, but dealt about even casualties despite being outnumbered.
Kindara lost a battle against Cathay in Pates, but dealt higher casualties. Also destroyed the walls and drove the region rogue.
Kindara won a battle against Arcaea in Hatdhes.
Zonasa lost a battle against Cathay and friend in Haul. I'm not sure about the impact of that yet.

The battles have been won by the defender in every case but one, which was the Arcaea victory against PoZ rearguard.

I would say the war score is about even.
The 'battle' in Haul, such as it was (more a skirmish than a battle, there was only a fraction of our forces involved), was won by the attackers.  I'm not really going to comment much on the impact yet.

The north has won more battles, the south may have done more damage (remains to be seen after the winter).

Ender

QuoteYou'd think them southerners would give up already.

You'd think them northerners would mind their own business.  :)

Seriously though, the view in the south is pretty much that we're doing more then enough without open victories that we aren't beaten either. That makes it seem more a victory to Edmund since he enjoys knowing that three realms are moving through massive amounts of gold, food, and men just to fight two realms down south with little actual success.

Velax

I don't know if I'd call driving two regions rogue and a third to the brink of rebelling "little actual success".

Ender

Quote from: Velax on September 09, 2012, 07:38:59 PM
I don't know if I'd call driving two regions rogue and a third to the brink of rebelling "little actual success".

I know, but Edmund tends to be overly optimistic at times.

Gustav Kuriga

Sorraine has hardly gone through any gold or men...

Indirik

... or done anything much at all!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

Quote from: Indirik on September 09, 2012, 08:01:13 PM
... or done anything much at all!

Actually, we were the ones to start the move on Haul. Without us, Arcaea would already be back refitting while Cathay tried to hold Ansopen against PoZ.

BardicNerd

Quote from: Gustav Kuriga on September 09, 2012, 08:03:56 PM
Actually, we were the ones to start the move on Haul. Without us, Arcaea would already be back refitting while Cathay tried to hold Ansopen against PoZ.
Actually we had already called off attacking Ansopen before the attack on Haul.  Only a few hours before, admittedly. . . .

I'm somewhat surprised that Arcaea didn't go back, though Kindara did block their retreat.  I guess they've given up their army for lost by now?  Unless they have HUGE piles of gold with them. . . .

Velax

Go back where? Home? Those who needed to pay their men were told to go home, the rest of us stayed to do some damage in Haul. Will a few people misjudge the timing and lose their units? Possibly. But the gold for replacement units is not really a huge issue for us.