Author Topic: The War of the Hearth Right  (Read 70111 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Sorraine
« Reply #135: August 21, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
DIE THAIN DIE

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #136: August 21, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »
I couldn't think of a better way to punctuate his last letter than the assassin stabbing him.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: August 21, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »
What was his last letter?  ;D

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #138: August 21, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »
"Listen uhp! From now on, da boyz with the pointy metal sticks iz called the Stabbeh Ladz, and the onez that be all scaredy and firez from behind the other boyz will be the Shoota Runtz. Any questions yah bastardz?"
Not sure if this would make me smile or cry.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: September 04, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
DIE THAIN DIE
Strike me down and I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: September 05, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »
Having been in Arcaea for a very long time, I haven't found the former to be true, but the latter is definitely true. Arcaea's size makes it attractive for new nobles and the restored monarchy under Jenred established the King as a dictator who can say or do whatever he wants - and because Arcaea has had a lot of prizes to hand out to loyal nobles, it keeps its Dukes and richer lords fat and happy enough that this works. But things do flare up a few times a year.

I can assure you that it only appeared like Jenred could do whatever he wanted.  In practice, what actually happened was Jenred spent a great deal of time figuring out what people wanted, molding them into thinking what he wanted, and then only publicly announcing things after he had gotten the buy-in of enough people to make it stick.  Things he wasn't sure about he often asked for input on, and he very rarely actually pushed actively against what he knew the realm wanted, and only when he felt it was a critical issue...And because he did it so rarely, yes, he could get away with it most of the time.

That said, I can think of three serious issues off the top of my head where Jenred went after something and was foiled by other Arcaeans, and there was little he could do about it.  As for the rewards...I won't deny that helped, but I think it had a lot more to do with taking (for the game) unusually bold stances, which garnered a lot of respect from different corners.

Arcaea doesn't have a lot of RP though. It's fun in the 'usually somebody to fight' sense and fun because it has a lot of history.

This, sadly, has been true for too many years.  We had a great core of roleplayers in 2008/early 2009, but we lost people, people had other interests, and it kinda fell by the wayside.  I felt quite bad about that, as I felt I had a duty to try to encourage more roleplay, but none of my ideas panned out (prizes for ideas on campaigns, the Unicorn Guard, etc).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: September 05, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »
The weird thing is we have a number of people who I know like to do RP. They just don't. Once this war is over I'll have to try to organise them together.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: September 05, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
Lasanar and Cathay Round 1 had tons of RPers but as a group they tended to be impatient about things that, at least back then, you had to be patient about - bugs, sudden changes in how the game worked, stuff most people think of as everyday. We lost a bunch right away when all of Cathay starved to death in its early years (myself included) due to a bug and gradually the others followed.

I can assure you that it only appeared like Jenred could do whatever he wanted.

Of course it's all relative, but on the scale of monarchs, he could get away with quite a lot. Galiard could do the same in Cathay when it was first founded because of the sheer number of nobles who would poop all over anybody who came out against him. King of 60 guys > King of 20 guys, and Galiard today is unlikely to get back to that because he purposefully drives out the more noisome or scumbag elements that show up rather than peopling his Kingdom with buffoons (other than him).

Gustav Kuriga

The War of the Hearth Right
« Reply #143: September 05, 2012, 09:10:32 PM »
Any commentary is welcome here on the conflict. This should prove interesting.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
Re: The War of the Hearth Right
« Reply #144: September 05, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
Assuming this is about Cathay and Friends versus Kindara and Friends, I imagine most of what has been said has been said over in the other threads linked to it.

Unless there's another war brewing out there I don't know about yet.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: September 05, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
Of course it's all relative, but on the scale of monarchs, he could get away with quite a lot.

Oh, indeed, he certainly could, but it wasn't because he just decreed "We shall do it this way, I am teh awesomeness!", it took a lot of work.  I was pretty consistently putting 20 hours a week into Jenred for two or three years.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #146: September 06, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
Should probably have kept that stronghold a bit more garrisoned...

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: September 06, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
Should probably have kept that stronghold a bit more garrisoned...

That was my thought.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
The War of Cathayan Arrogance
« Reply #148: September 06, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
Discuss topics related to the war in this thread with a better name.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The War of Cathayan Arrogance
« Reply #149: September 06, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
I really don't think we need three topics for one War.