Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Is Dwilight SMA or low fantasy SMA?

Started by Cren, May 24, 2012, 07:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: pcw27 on June 05, 2012, 03:36:52 AM
Couldn't one play a human who has the disfigurement of pointy ears, Or alternatively comes from an ethnic group that modifies ears into points as a form of beautification?

No.

If you are spending your thoughts on ways to creatively circumvent the limits, that is a great sign that you are doing something you shouldn't be doing.

Arundel

I found two griffon eggs on my adventurer. When they hatch, I'll train them and become the first grey warden, guardian of Luria and slayer of the Daimon blight. But actually, I have two griffon eggs on Dwilight.... do I act as if I think they're griffon eggs, even though they're vulture eggs or something? I've been puzzled with this, and for that reason, have refrained from any RP on my advy.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Gustav Kuriga

Quote from: Arundel on June 11, 2012, 09:56:44 AM
I found two griffon eggs on my adventurer. When they hatch, I'll train them and become the first grey warden, guardian of Luria and slayer of the Daimon blight. But actually, I have two griffon eggs on Dwilight.... do I act as if I think they're griffon eggs, even though they're vulture eggs or something? I've been puzzled with this, and for that reason, have refrained from any RP on my advy.

Well, I have a noble with a Direwolf on Dwilight. Although an actual Griffon may just be a step too far, not sure.

Anaris

Quote from: Gustav Kuriga on June 11, 2012, 02:32:50 PM
Well, I have a noble with a Direwolf on Dwilight. Although an actual Griffon may just be a step too far, not sure.

No, you don't.

Your noble may think it's a direwolf, but at most, it's a malamute or a wolfhound of some sort.

Pet direwolves are not SMA.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

By direwolf I mean larger than normal wolf. Besides... we have undead, and you're telling me a direwolf is non-SMA? Hypocritical much? It's not like I'm using some made-up creature.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_wolf#_

Indirik

So, you're saying that since we have undead, that our characters could be vampires, and we'd still be SMA because, hey, undead, right?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

Quote from: Indirik on June 11, 2012, 05:29:07 PM
So, you're saying that since we have undead, that our characters could be vampires, and we'd still be SMA because, hey, undead, right?

No. That is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is why can't my noble have an animal that is factually shown as having had existed at the same time as mankind in a low-fantasy game.

Anaris

Quote from: Gustav Kuriga on June 11, 2012, 05:26:09 PM
Besides... we have undead, and you're telling me a direwolf is non-SMA?

No, I'm telling you having a pet direwolf is non-SMA.

QuoteIt's not like I'm using some made-up creature.

No, just one that went extinct before the rise of human civilization. Pet dinosaurs aren't SMA, either.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

Well, I can think of a couple reasons.

First, the dire wolf was extinct in the time period we were playing: "The dire wolf (Canis dirus) is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis related to the smaller extant gray wolf. It was most common in North America and South America from the Irvingtonian stage to the Rancholabrean stage of the Pleistocene epoch, living 1.80 Ma—10,000 years ago, persisting for approximately 1.79 million years." Saying you can have a dire wolf just because they factually existed is like saying you can have a pet dinosaur because they existed. Seriously, that's like 8,000BC.

Second, when people talk about having pets, they are generally assumed to be the faithful, cute, fury, lovable animals. Not the half-savage wild animals that they most certainly were. Ripping a dire wolf straight from the pages of GRRM and plopping it into BattleMaster is going to make most people think you are RPing Robb Stark and his dire wolf who fights with him in battle, etc. Which would most definitely NOT be SMA.

Third, SMA is about how your characters react to the situations given to you by the game. Just because Tom tosses in undead and daimons doesn't mean that you get to invent your own stuff and justify it with "Well, we have undead, so why not this?" Dwilight and SMA is primarily focused on a European medieval setting. Adding in prehistoric North-American wild animals as faithful pets doesn't really fit the bill.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Cren

Had a question, low fantasy is restricted to what limit?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

egamma

My pet narwhal (real animal, existed during medieval period) killed your dire wolf.

Also, your direwolf went extinct 11000 years before the medieval period.

Cren

Quote from: Arundel on June 11, 2012, 09:56:44 AM

I guess the eggs are of Griffon the Vulture, not Griffon the Legendary Hybrid
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Gustav Kuriga

I'm just going to say !@#$ you guys. No one I'm rping with seems to have a problem with it, I don't use it in a way that would ruin the atmosphere, say like, riding it into battle. As long as I'm not ruining Dwilight for someone else,  I'm not going to change how I rp for someone's view of what something as vague as SMA should be.

Velax