Author Topic: Remove Scout Report Popup  (Read 6851 times)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
Remove Scout Report Popup
« Topic Start: May 25, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Title: Remove Scout Report Popup

Summary: Remove the popup for sharing a scout report. On mobile browsers this is an annoyance.

Details:

CMO:
- Clicking link to share scout report with your army causes a new window to open to tell you that, indeed you have shared this report with your army. The window closes after three seconds. This is the only popup in the game.

FMO:
- Link could reveal "hidden text" under it that provides the same description without refreshing the page and losing context

Benefits:

- Enhance user experience on mobile browsers as they are making up more and more of the browsing market
- Get rid of the only popup in the game.

Possible Exploits: None

egamma

Re: Remove Scout Report Popup
« Reply #1: May 25, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
+1

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: May 25, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »
Anyone know when and why this popup was created/exists?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

« Reply #3: May 25, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
It was created when the ability to share scout reports with the army was added.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 26, 2012, 06:10:09 AM »
Yes, this can be very annoying. On some mobile browsers it doesn't bring up a new window, but actually changes the current window to the pop up window. I can't hit Back because it'll give me another scout report and waste an hour, so instead I have to go back to the log in page.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #5: May 26, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »
Tom added it Feb, 2008.  -_-
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: May 29, 2012, 05:38:36 PM »
I wouldn't mind having it removed.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #7: May 29, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »
Okay.

I was -_- about the fact that it took 4 years for someone to bring it up to the attention of the dev team.

egamma

« Reply #8: May 29, 2012, 06:51:40 PM »
Okay.

I was -_- about the fact that it took 4 years for someone to bring it up to the attention of the dev team.

I think most people don't click the "share report with army" link, they just mail it to the realm.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: May 29, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
I think most people don't click the "share report with army" link, they just mail it to the realm.

Which they shouldn't do.

Brant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 29, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
Because when you do use the share with army, almost without fail someone from another army will have to scout the same region.   So that share with army feature did nothing to cut down on messages... maybe it should be "share with realm" instead.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 29, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Personally, I find that people don't check to see if one is available before requestiing one. If they don't see it in the message feed, they assume it is not done.

I am guilty of this, too. :(

Maybe when a report is shared with the army, it should generate a simple message, even a one-liner, to everyone in the army with link. I don't think anyone would consider that spam.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 29, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »
What would be great is if you could check a box to have "fresh" scout reports that have been shared to always be listed at the bottom of the Standing Orders.

It could even be size 9 or 10 font to keep it small and not so obtrusive.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

egamma

« Reply #13: May 29, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
Which they shouldn't do.

They shouldn't follow the directions of their marshal and/or general?

Or they shouldn't save people from the realms other army from saving their hours (and scouts!) by avoiding an unessential scouting mission?

People play the game off the messages page. "I want scribe notes now for Evilstan and Evilville" is on the message page. people finish reading the messages, don't see the scribe note, and send their scout out. checking the scribe notes is an extra step that people simply don't take.

If the scribe notes had a "share with realm" option, then perhaps that would change.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: May 30, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
If the scribe notes had a "share with realm" option, then perhaps that would change.

I doubt it would. We have more than 10 years of experience with realm chatter, and there has always been duplication and beyond. People will read the "I want..." message and reply with a copy without checking if someone else has already done so.

What we would need is a scout reports blackboard, where people can both post and request scout reports.