Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 9378 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Civilization V
« Topic Start: May 27, 2012, 04:17:17 AM »
I know there are some Civ fans on here so I thought I would let everyone know it's a Free Play weekend for Civ V on steam right now, so you can play it for FREE.

Also, everything in the Civ 5 franchise is 75% off. You can get the Civ V Game of the Year addition for $12.49 (it is normally $49.99).

I haven't played Civ 5 so I'm pretty pumped. Going to give it a try and then probably buy as long as I don't hate it or something.

I'm downloading/installing right now.  ;D
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #1: May 27, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
It's a good game and I like some of the changes they made. But my friends and I still often play CIV IV too, and that says something. I did enjoy the game, but go for CIV IV if you need to choose, and don't expect too much from CIV V. It's enjoyable then.

I do look forward to the expansion that will add Religion to CIV V, I was so sad they removed that.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: May 27, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »
I've already bought Civ IV last year for 10 bucks.  It's really fun (compared to my limited experience with Civ V).
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 27, 2012, 04:57:04 PM »
Civ5 is fun, except for the !@#$ty AI and the inability to save multiplayer game without crazy hacking at the game files to recuperate autosaves. At least, last time I played, might have been patched since.

The fact that the devs did not put the option to save multiplayer games, as we always could, really made me facepalm. But the changes to gameplay (like no more stacks of death and no more infinite resources from a single stack) were good imo.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Karedan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 27, 2012, 08:13:13 PM »
i like it.. but like already said before by others i like Civ 4 more. I don't know what it is exactly, the chances they made for Civ 5 are amazing and truly daring but for some reason i keep preferring Civ 4 more

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: May 27, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
Civ 5 is not a bad game. But it got old fast for me :(

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 27, 2012, 08:55:51 PM »
I liked civ 5 and at 12 bucks it is a great deal.

My only issue with it was that I couldn't cross play between PC and Macs.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 27, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
It's a good game and I like some of the changes they made. But my friends and I still often play CIV IV too, and that says something. I did enjoy the game, but go for CIV IV if you need to choose, and don't expect too much from CIV V. It's enjoyable then.

Yeah, I love Civ 4 a lot. Have played the heck out of that game. I got it in similar Steam sale for 10 or 15 bucks. So picking the GOTY Edition (includes all of the DLC for it) for 12 dollars? I think I'll do it.

But the changes to gameplay (like no more stacks of death and no more infinite resources from a single stack) were good imo.

Agreed; this is by far my favorite part so far.

I do look forward to the expansion that will add Religion to CIV V, I was so sad they removed that.

Yeah, odd they removed it. Don't really get why.

My only issue with it was that I couldn't cross play between PC and Macs.

Really? That's weird. Civ 4 you could I'm pretty sure.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 27, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »

They wanted to add it in during a patch. Not sure if they ever did though. I havne't played in a while.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 27, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »

Lots of things you could do in previous games that you can't anymore.

That's mostly what I hate about Civ 5.

Imo, Civ5 is a mediocre game. Some great aspects, but a lot of mediocre stuff that one just can't understand why they didn't take the time to do.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 31, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
Ahh, Civ V. Tried the demo on a weekend when I was feeling really rough and ill and picked up a far worse malaise of Civ addiction >.< Aside from dalliances with Age of Wonders, I'd never really been won over by turn-based strategy games. Civ V opened my eyes. I have since played Civ IV and although I enjoyed some aspects, I really didn't enjoy the combat system and everything felt a lot more complicated. But the diplomacy system was so much more expansive! It does seem a little too much was lost between each game. Good news on that front, anyway. A Civ V expansion is coming out in a couple of weeks that will add-in religions, better diplomacy and espionage once more. Should be good :-)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 31, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
Ahh, Civ V. Tried the demo on a weekend when I was feeling really rough and ill and picked up a far worse malaise of Civ addiction >.< Aside from dalliances with Age of Wonders, I'd never really been won over by turn-based strategy games. Civ V opened my eyes. I have since played Civ IV and although I enjoyed some aspects, I really didn't enjoy the combat system and everything felt a lot more complicated. But the diplomacy system was so much more expansive! It does seem a little too much was lost between each game. Good news on that front, anyway. A Civ V expansion is coming out in a couple of weeks that will add-in religions, better diplomacy and espionage once more. Should be good :-)

Yea, I hate how they constantly remove features between versions of the game, just to bring it back in expansions.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #12: May 31, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »
I, for one, really like the new Civ 5 combat. It's more interesting than just moving big blobs around the map.

I really liked religion in Civ 4 and look forward to it being added back in. Other extras - espionage for example - don't add much to the game for me.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 01, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
I own all the Civs and love V most of all.

I play Civ V games with a small group of 3-4 fellow Bay12ers. Should you have Skype, I'd be glad to shoot you our info so we can have a nice team-game or free-for-all. :)
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: June 01, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Combat is indeed a big improvement. But I think I feel like doing things over and over again with Civ 5.