Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Duke give away region

Started by egamma, May 23, 2012, 09:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egamma

Quote from: megs on May 24, 2012, 09:16:37 AM
Regarding taxes, I disagree, because the new system is a bottom up approach.
If the knights have no-one to give the taxes to, they would keep them for themselves. If any made it up the chain, it would be a fraction of what would make it actually, since the chain is broken and there is no control.

Actually, taxes are imposed from the top down. Rulers tax dukes; dukes tax lords; lords tax regions and knights.

This feature request would only let a duke transfer control of a region that did not have any knights.

megs

Quote from: egamma on May 24, 2012, 02:33:52 PM
Actually, taxes are imposed from the top down. Rulers tax dukes; dukes tax lords; lords tax regions and knights.

The answer to this is yes and no.
There is of course a hierarchy, but there are also 3 distinct tax structures.
If there is 0 tax collected on the base, there is nothing to collect higher up.
And the bottom grunt (Region lord) has total control of how much tax he will collect.
A lord taxing the min 5%, without an estate would produce in a wealthy region essentially no revenue for the crown, and very little for the Duke.

fodder

wait... if there's no lord, there's still a lord's share that goes somewhere, doesn't it? (ie.. a knight will not get the lord's cut) a duke takes his cut off that, no? it's just the bits that the lord keeps for himself that'll vanish? (does tax rate drop to 10% or default or something low?)

have to say.. i think i haven't seen an actual example.
firefox

Velax

Quote from: egamma on May 24, 2012, 02:33:52 PM

From the New Estate System page on the Wiki:

QuoteAt the same time, this system reverses the tax flow. Taxes are now collected at the bottom of the hierarchy and some parts of it "trickle up", not the other way around.

megs

Velax, both of your quotes are true. This is why I say yes and no at the same time.

Taxes are imposed from someone above you, but are collected bottom up, and some of it reaches the top.

megs

Quote from: fodder on May 24, 2012, 03:33:58 PM
wait... if there's no lord, there's still a lord's share that goes somewhere, doesn't it? (ie.. a knight will not get the lord's cut) a duke takes his cut off that, no? it's just the bits that the lord keeps for himself that'll vanish? (does tax rate drop to 10% or default or something low?)

have to say.. i think i haven't seen an actual example.

I will let you know next tax day most propably, as we have a lordless region right now.

Foundation

Needs more discussion in Development.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

Quote from: Foundation on May 24, 2012, 04:50:33 PM
Needs more discussion in Development.

Can you move the thread please?

Foundation

Quote from: egamma on May 24, 2012, 06:11:44 PM
Can you move the thread please?

Done.  I think it deserves a fuller discussion than possible in Feature Requests. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.