Author Topic: Help me choose continent(s) to join [veteran thinking about returning to BM]  (Read 20662 times)

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
In my opinion, Dwilight is the best island, Beluaterra being the 2nd. I am rating them on the basis of battles, RPs, and change in politics.

Dwilight has changed a lot. Two old realms, Madina and Pien en Luries are dead from civil war. A new superpower called Aurvandil flaunts the largest noble populace. And a number of new realms provide good opportunity to rise quickly in the hierchy ladder.

Over to BT, Thalmarkin is pretty good. They have got a lot of gold, nobles, regions (and enemies).
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Over to BT, Thalmarkin is pretty good. They have got a lot of gold, nobles, regions (and enemies).

Mostly relative to the rest of BT (under blight) that is :P

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Dwilight has changed a lot. Two old realms, Madina and Pien en Luries are dead from civil war. A new superpower called Aurvandil flaunts the largest noble populace. And a number of new realms provide good opportunity to rise quickly in the hierchy ladder.

Pian en Luries isn't dead yet. Indeed, it's the only original Dwilight realm that still survives.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Well, 3 active nobles and one hurting city... it's not dead but it isn't exactly very spry either :p

egamma

Should be easy to get a council position in PeL.

ry2n

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Thanks for all recommendations.

I'll definitely give Dwilight a shot, maybe FEI too. Beluaterra is kind of too NPCish for me.

see you on the battlefield :)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Dwilight involves too much letter writing and real relationship building.

FEI has too many RPs and is too relaxing.

BT boasts too many challenges for the players to work together to overcome, including NPC invasions that are too interesting.

AT has too many wars and requires team coordination as if it's what the game is about.

EI includes too many conflicts and has too many focused and dedicated characters.

Colonies has too few abbreviations.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:42:39 PM by Foundation »
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

ry2n

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Come on, who *doesn't* love letter writing ? It's what makes BM BM.

LetterMaster: The Game (and I wouldn't have it any other way)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Come on, who *doesn't* love letter writing ? It's what makes BM BM.

LetterMaster: The Game (and I wouldn't have it any other way)

Ignore him, He's trolling you.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

ry2n

• Peasant
    • View Profile

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Whoa, trolling oneself is a rare art I have yet to master.

I like to use creative ways to convey information.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Or you could join Ohnar (FEI). It's the underdog in the region (surrounded by haters), which adds to the challenge. A new religion is just taking off, and there is internal conflict, and a promise of future wars that should be epic and lead to FEI shattering events  8)

Its funny how you think Ohnar is that important :P. If it was, those FEI shattering events would have happened already, silly.

Anyways, I'll offer my most sincere advice. My preferred continents are FEI and Dwilight due to the overall seriousness of the players. On Dwilight, the 'power blocks' are actually a representation of their game style; political, cultural, or religious. (Unlike FEI, where the power blocks are merely geographical.) Since you seem to be leaning towards Dwilight, I will give you my impression of the continent.

As it was mentioned several times, the northern half of both islands are claimed by Sanguis Astroism. (Morek Empire, Corsanctum, Astrum, Iashular, Kabrinskia, Summerdale, and Libero Empire.) These realms all offer a very good religious game, mixed with a lot of intrigue and political conflicts. Right now, Kabrinskia, Sanguis Astroism's colonization attempt in the west, is in a large conflict with the western republics. On the very northern tip, Summerdale just ended their conflict with Libero Empire, and are now being taken apart by the hungry wolves at their dinner of sheeps. Out of those realms, I would suggest either Morek Empire or Iashular. Morek Empire will soon meet its borders with the Lurias, (eastern power block), and create a colony in the only city that has yet to be conquered. Fun should be in incredible abundance soon. Iashular because its still a 'young child' of a realm, and has yet to establish its identity. They've only recently conquered Darfix, the largest city on the continent, and have many more regions to take. If you want a lordship or position of power quickly, giving you the opportunity to be a contributing member to its identity, then I would suggest going there.

The western republics (D'hara, Terran, Barca.... Asylon?), known as the Moot, are exactly what they sound like: republics - making politics their unifying quality. I don't know too much about them, but what I do know is that they border the Zuma, the passive-aggressive Daimons. From the RP's that I've seen, Asylon seems to be the realm of choice for me, though I don't fully understand their place in the western power-block (being a Monarchy and the odd one out, yet supporting their war against Kabrinskia.) Someone else would have to correct me and expand on this, should they wish, if you want to learn more.

The Lurias (Solaria, Luria Nova, Luria Vesperi, and the City State of Pian en Luries) are very intriguing places. It was the first and only places I've played on Dwilight, having its memorable moments and its not so memorable moments. Here, I would say that the unifying trait is culture, since 'being Lurian' and part of the land outlines the principal theme. Essentially, 'being Lurian' really means being a backstabber, as civil wars and plots are so frequent, you could cut the political tension with your quill. Right now, and I hope my Lurian friends can forgive me, I would put these realms in second place next to one of the Sanguis Astroism realms. There are a lot of players that are so heavily entrenched, it makes it difficult to get anywhere past the position of lord. However, with Sanguis Astroism making a big push in Solaria - after the fall of Pian en Luries and the Manifest Path - and Aetheris Pyrism - the second largest religion on Dwilight, which originates in southern Luria - solidifying its position across the Giaskan Bay, there's bound to be conflict. The Lurian Empire is also in the process of being formed, with an Emperor soon to be chosen.

The south is not a powerblock, or at least the way I see it. Aurvandil, which used (?) to be a friendly monarchy to the Moot, recently took over Madina (the realm) and is now consuming Barca through broken oaths (Lords altering their allegiances.) I would consider them their own entity, as they don't really have any allies. The Grand Duchy of Fissoa is the other realm. They border Luria Nova and Luria Vesperi primarily, and border Aurvandil through their control of Madina (the city). The Lurians see Fissoa as 'Lurian' in essence, as they have been vassalized in the past by Pian en Luries, but the Fissoans see themselves differently. Most of their interactions are, however, with the Lurias, making them a political/culture split game. Regardless of some OOC concerns around Aurvandil, I would still chose Fissoa due to their inherent rights given to nobles (referendums on wars and such), while managing to survive the wrath of Luria for so long.

I have tried to keep this as general as possible. The choice is ultimately yours, unless you have already made it :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:29:29 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I can attest that Arundel's description of the realms is pretty unbiased.

Well done.

(And Arundel's char's hate me too...)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I can attest that Arundel's description of the realms is pretty unbiased.

Well done.

(And Arundel's char's hate me too...)

(Caspius left long before Solaria was even a realm. He thinks that she was killed by Solaria and Luria Nova. Alice didn't believe whatever was said in Solaria -i.e, them blaming you for her death - and believes the same as Caspius. So no, my characters don't hate you :P)
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
(Caspius left long before Solaria was even a realm. He thinks that she was killed by Solaria and Luria Nova. Alice didn't believe whatever was said in Solaria -i.e, them blaming you for her death - and believes the same as Caspius. So no, my characters don't hate you :P)

Well one of them did...