Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Odd training message

Started by Bael, June 07, 2012, 09:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bael

The tutor acknowledges that you seem to be more skilled in Swordfighting than he is and thus he can not estimate your skill properly except for saying that it is apparently higher than his own (60 %)
Unfortunately, it also means he can not teach you anything new, and your skill will likely not improve much further by training with him.
You have improved your Swordfighting skill!

This appears to be a bug, but don't have time to report right now. Has anyone spotted something similar lately?

Indirik

I've seen something like that before. Your skill is probably right at the edge of the trainer's ability.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

Quote from: Indirik on June 07, 2012, 09:40:08 PM
I've seen something like that before. Your skill is probably right at the edge of the trainer's ability.

Completely correct.

Remember that the trainer can only judge your ability with a margin of error.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Zakilevo

So does that mean 80% trainer can train you to 85%?

Foundation

No, but 80% trainer can think that you're better than him when you're actually not.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Zakilevo

Is there any way to stop your swordfighting skill from degrading once you reach over 80%? Like 85 or 90? Training matches maybe?

Indirik

Velax

Battles have a chance to improve your Swordsmanship...can they prevent decline as well?

Indirik

Anything that has a chance to improve a skill has a chance to prevent decline.

Foundation

Training matches do help maintain skill, yes, but don't think 1 training match in 3 months keeps your skills sharp.

Bael

Quote from: Zakilevo on June 08, 2012, 04:52:53 AM
Is there any way to stop your swordfighting skill from degrading once you reach over 80%? Like 85 or 90? Training matches maybe?

Wouldn't training at the academy still do this? Sure, it can't increase your skill, but shouldn't it still keep your skills sharp?

egamma

Quote from: Bael on June 08, 2012, 09:43:58 PM
Wouldn't training at the academy still do this? Sure, it can't increase your skill, but shouldn't it still keep your skills sharp?

I would expect training with an 80% (expert) tutor to keep your skills at 80%. If they are at 90%, and all you are doing is academy, I would expect them to still degrade to 80%.

I could be wrong, however.