Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Taxes, taxes everywhere...

Started by Velax, June 09, 2012, 07:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velax

From Coria on Atamara's latest tax:

"The crown has received 311 gold tax income thanks to a realm share of 20 %.
In addition, the realm made 6722 gold from other sources (fines, etc.), bringing the crown's total income to 7033 gold."

Have to love that autopause script...

Zakilevo

Holy cow! That did not happen on the EC. I think it is just FEI?

Velax

Atamara. I assume it'll happen everywhere, though. It just depends on if the autopaused people had many bonds.

fodder

when you manually pause back when.. did you lose bonds?
firefox

Anaris

Fodder's got it. This is almost certainly the result of the new pause code affecting all the previously paused characters.

In other words, this is money that has been bled off from the realm and sequestered for months or even years.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

.... actually, i was wondering if they lost their bonds the 1st time round already when auto/manual pausing (because i can't remember if manual pausing lose bonds.. i would think autopausing in the old system should have coughed it up already) and are paying out a 2nd time (beats me how) or maybe even out of thin air.

i guess it could also be all those estates occupied by paused characters accumulating bonds somehow (didn't i read taxes going to either thin air or the paused estates?).. and now coughing it all back up
firefox

Anaris

Quote from: fodder on June 09, 2012, 06:59:11 PM
.... actually, i was wondering if they lost their bonds the 1st time round already when auto/manual pausing (because i can't remember if manual pausing lose bonds.. i would think autopausing in the old system should have coughed it up already) and are paying out a 2nd time (beats me how) or maybe even out of thin air.

I'm not 100% sure about this one way or the other. The old pausing system was kind of inconsistent, because it had to deal with two very different cases with one set of code. The new pausing system explicitly separates out those cases.

i guess it could also be all those estates occupied by paused characters accumulating bonds somehow (didn't i read taxes going to either thin air or the paused estates?).. and now coughing it all back up

I'm nearly positive that is, indeed, part of it.

If you look at the autopause list, you'll see that a number of them show "bonds revert to the realm." Whichever way they ended up with bonds, that's what tells you they had them, but lost them back to you.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

While it is certainly possible that it is a bug, and the characters lost their bonds the first time, I see almost no way to make sense of that. My understanding was that once the system took your bonds from you, it didn't continue to store them.

Likewise, the amount of bonds isn't completely unreasonable when you think about how wealthy Coria as a whole is. With the number of nobles affected by the script adjustement it would only take maybe 2-3 weeks to accumulate that amount of gold or perhaps less than that. Its quite able to be accomplished by just knights too, and we had some of our rulers affected by the script, and they store a lot of gold on hand at times.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on June 09, 2012, 08:37:39 PM
While it is certainly possible that it is a bug, and the characters lost their bonds the first time, I see almost no way to make sense of that. My understanding was that once the system took your bonds from you, it didn't continue to store them.

To be clear, this isn't bonds being duplicated. It really is bonds that the paused characters held, that had never been taken away from them.
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

Quote from: Anaris on June 09, 2012, 08:41:00 PM
To be clear, this isn't bonds being duplicated. It really is bonds that the paused characters held, that had never been taken away from them.

Oh. So they should have gotten the gold long time ago but instead they are getting it now in a huge package. Since I am not getting any gold, I am guessing the old system worked fine for the EC?

Shizzle

Wow, this is amazing. Will something be done to rectify this, or is it just considered Coria's luck?

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Shizzle on June 09, 2012, 09:15:46 PM
Wow, this is amazing. Will something be done to rectify this, or is it just considered Coria's luck?

Why would anything be done about it? As Anaris said:

Quote from: Anaris on June 09, 2012, 08:41:00 PM

We should have received the gold earlier, but now we're receiving it as we should have then, if the code was as it is now. (At least that's my understanding of it) It was gold that Coria produced, and so its gold that Coria gets to keep.

Not that Coria exactly needed the gold, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

There is nothing to fix. This is what happens when someone with bonds pauses: they go back to the realm, to be delivered to the ruler. Usually this happens on a routine basis, and is not so noticeable. It is only so obvious this time because it has not been happening.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

LilWolf

Darka got an extra 700 gold from paused people too.

Just goes to show Coria has been unlucky until now :)
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: LilWolf on June 09, 2012, 09:36:13 PM
Darka got an extra 700 gold from paused people too.

Just goes to show Coria has been unlucky until now :)

Can we blame CE? I need a good reason to get mad at them for something, and everyone else seems to blame CE for stuff...