Author Topic: Priest options providing Honor and Prestige  (Read 3908 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Priest options providing Honor and Prestige
« Topic Start: June 15, 2012, 12:04:40 AM »
Title: Priest options providing Honor and Prestige
Summary: Have preaching or other Priest options give H/P, not unlike the Courtier options.
Details: Currently you have a H/P requirement to become a Priest, but after you turn into one you lose most options to gain them. Doing civil or bureaucrat work and even looting gives honor (lol) and prestige. From a game mechanics point of view it would make sense that also preaching, building shrines and the rest of the Religion options gave them. From a RP perspective there is comparable (if not higher) honor and prestige in converting pagans/heretics/lost souls to your religion (specially nobles through private sermons, though that could be exploited) than KBRing, having your soldiers repair the infrastructure or supervising the administration of a region.
Benefits: Priest is a RP-oriented class, but becoming and staying one is severely limited by game mechanics. One has to fight in order to acquire H/P before being able to take up the robes, and if one steps down from a position, gets protested or does anything that costs H/P, well, regaining it is usually a pain. It would make the class somewhat less unattractive. The sacrifices to become a Priest seem a little bit too heavy nowadays.
Possible Exploits: It could be used as a way to raise the H/P in times of peace, but that would be easily solved by having the amount of H/P provided not be superior to the one a Courtier gets. Extra hours per day of Priests over Courtiers considered.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Priest options providing Honor and Prestige
« Reply #1: June 15, 2012, 12:28:31 AM »
While Tom has long been against anything like this, I do have to agree that some possibilities for gaining prestige as a priest would be nice. Noble priests should be very prestigious, even if they don't do the things that are traditionally considered "honorable" in BattleMaster.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #2: June 15, 2012, 12:49:35 AM »
It makes sense from a historical viewpoint as, well, try to find a Church position that wasn't prestigious in medieval Europe. 

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 15, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »
It makes sense from a historical viewpoint as, well, try to find a Church position that wasn't prestigious in medieval Europe.

And BM religions emulate something closer to classic religions than medieval ones. Thus I see the Priest Class to something resembling the Roman Pontiffs or the Celtic Druids, both of which were extremely prestigious.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Colin Ealdwine

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 15, 2012, 03:02:13 AM »
Also, It's stupidly hard for new players upon becoming a priest as soon as they can to get a sub class such as diplomat, realistically requiring them to wait to get diplomat, then convert main class to priest.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 19, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
I agree with this completely! The restriction encourages players to keep switching back and forth from the priest class, which in my opinion is far more un-medieval than the notion that priests can gain honor and prestige (in fact some Bishops were very active and well known in medieval politics).

Plus I know from experience that it is very annoying when you've been an elder (and sometimes effective leader) of BM's largest religions, but still have less H/P than an ordinary knight and therefore can hold no rank higher than region lord, even in theocracies. and cannot even contact foreign rulers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:58:33 PM by Meneldur »

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 03, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »
I agree as well. My senior adventurer has much higher honour/prestige than my nobleborn priest today.

My suggestion would be that the number of followers of a religion would periodically generate a small amount of honour and prestige that would be handed out to the nobleborn priesthood in proportion to their rank, with certain caps on it...
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 03, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »
how do you know which priest did what preaching?
firefox

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 03, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
You don't. My thought was that the religion in itself would generate a certain amount of honour or prestige regardless whether the priest is out preaching or is staying at the temple chasing acolytes. It shouldn't be a lot but large religions should generate more than small cults.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 03, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
eh.. so why does a priest who just joined and haven't done squat get same h/p as the one who started it all, or any h/p at all?
firefox

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
He wouldn't. Higher ranking priests would get a larger share of the honor prestige the religion generates and there should be a cap so priests in religions with few priests doesn't get too much too quickly.

But yes, just being a priest in a large and influential religion should generate at least prestige.