Author Topic: War please.  (Read 86838 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: War please.
« Reply #120: June 29, 2012, 03:53:28 AM »
unless you count the treaty of Evanburg, which doesn't count anyway.

lol. So much for honor.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #121: June 29, 2012, 04:56:25 AM »
The Treaty of Evanburg governs only Evanburg, so I suppose it really doesn't count when you consider the switch of the two regions (which I assume is the center of this war).

Time2lure the Zuma against Auravandil?

Zakilevo

« Reply #122: June 29, 2012, 05:26:16 AM »
lol Zuma against Aurvandil. That would be something to see indeed. But the Saxons are not known for their courage. I haven't seen any saxons on BT.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #123: June 29, 2012, 05:27:38 AM »
lol Zuma against Aurvandil. That would be something to see indeed. But the Saxons are not known for their courage. I haven't seen any saxons on BT.
Weren't they in Thalmarkin for a bit?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #124: June 29, 2012, 05:34:54 AM »
Weren't they in Thalmarkin for a bit?

From what I have heard they were, but I was not under the impression that it was during an Invasion.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #125: June 29, 2012, 05:38:32 AM »
Would have been interesting to see how their tactics worked against Overlord & Co.  Or the Zuma, in Dwilight's case.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #126: June 29, 2012, 07:04:21 AM »
World domination isnt a good enough reason?

Not unless you are an Astroist realm, no.  ;)
------
qui audet vincit

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127: June 29, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
Also, Aurvandil has no border treaty with Barca to disrespect, we only had a verbal agreement of non interference, unless you count the treaty of Evanburg, which doesn't count anyway.

I was referring to the Treaty of Evanburg, which I don't get why it wouldn't count. When I look at the map, Aurvandil has it. When I look at the treaty, Barca should have it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #128: June 29, 2012, 04:23:29 PM »
The Treaty text in question: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Barca/Treaty_of_Evanburg

The Treaty only covers Evanburg, and under the text of the Treaty, Barca 'owns' the region and 'rents' it out to Auravandil. Evanburg will return to Barca's rule if/when one or more of the following things happen: 1) Auravandil loses Evanburg (did not happen), 2) Barca decides to terminate the treaty (unsure if it happened), and 3) the Civil War ends (did happen).

In theory, Barca can demand Evanburg back from Auravandil. That won't be possible, though, because Evanburg (now) does not border Barca, and the Treaty only governs Evanburg, not the regions surrounding it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129: June 29, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
So Barca can demand it back, and it's up to Aurvandil to figure out how. If they fail to do it, then they are, technically, in violation of the treaty.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130: June 29, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »
So Barca can demand it back, and it's up to Aurvandil to figure out how. If they fail to do it, then they are, technically, in violation of the treaty.

I am sure they haven't been able to sleep due to how much they worry about it.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131: June 29, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
You never know. It could offend their Saxon sense of honor. ::)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #132: June 29, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
I know.  Aurvandil's dying to give a thousand+ gold to Barca every week.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #133: June 29, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
I'd be very curious to know the story behind this if anyone feels like sharing.  ;D

After the regions defected to Aurvandil, Barca demanded them back simply out of friendship and expedience, so Mendicant replied with "Well no, we're not just going to hand them over because it's easier to do that and not consider the consequences". The defecting lords all told a story of corruption and tyranny in the Republic, such as what the original Aurvandilan's had to put up with in Madina, so we decided to hear them out the lords, and demand that Barca tell us their version of the story. Considering it more important to take the honourable path over the regions rather than the expedient path based solely upon the friendship between Aurvandil and Barca, and the personal relationship held between Mendicant and other nobles of Barca. Eventually, after much talk and consideration, Aurvandil was able to conclusively determine the accusations to be true with the Barcan Ambassador only able to try and justify them as the right thing to have done. To which Aurvandil then gave them a compromise, if they make change of consequence in the realm their realm operates, to tackle the problems Aurvandil listed in their Republic then we would hand back the lands without an issue and return to the once amicable state of affairs. However, the Barcan Senate proffered nothing, but eventually offered Aurvandil a fairly meaningless extension to the treaty of Evanburg that could only really come into effect after we handed back the lands, and since then said and did nothing to further the talks.

This wouldn't be justification alone for war; however the Barcan Ambassador levied quite a few insults and dishonours against the High Sovereign, such as calling a liar, a traitor, a manipulative politician, an opportunist and so forth, and even went so far as to state that Aurvandil owes its existence to Barca and is obligated to live in a shadow of gratitude to Barca. Which didn't sit well at all, and it was made worse by the severe breach of etiquette during the talks, such as the Ambassador turning his back on the High Sovereign, snubbing him, trying to correct him, cutting him across and otherwise treating Mendicant like a mere ambassador, and not "the Highest of Sovereigns", etiquette/decorum is everything in the Aurvandilan royal court, and breaches of it are a great dishonour and slight. In response to multiple such slights, insults and dishonours, Mendicant ordered his Knight Hausos to suitably dishonour Barca in return, so the Knight Hausos (In a fairly epic Roleplay) sharpened his sword on the stones of the Barcan Senate before their Senators, which was the absolute worst form of dishonour in the eyes of Aurvandil, not just to the Senate, or Barca, but to their very peoples, honour and dignity, to which the Knight Hausos then stated that due to such dishonour Barca are now obligated to offer Aurvandil terms for war, under the threat of war and had a day to do so. Equating the war to a duel, merely fought to gain satisfaction in combat, not to win, or to expand, but for both parties to consider their honour suitably defended. This war is entirely about honour, though foreign intervention promises to force this war not to be one for satisfaction, but victory merely for victories sake, a war fought because it is a war, not for any higher purpose.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #134: June 29, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
Boy doesn't that bring back the memories.  8)

Can I ask what exactly you were asking Barca to do in terms of meaningful reforms to end the corruption?