Author Topic: War please.  (Read 86067 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: War please.
« Reply #135: June 29, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
Boy doesn't that bring back the memories.  8)

Can I ask what exactly you were asking Barca to do in terms of meaningful reforms to end the corruption?

I gave them free mandate, Mendicant said in these exact words "change of consequence" which was deliberately vague, maximising their options and avenues to take on the issue, and minimising any arbitrary conditions on the part of Aurvandil which may do more damage than good. Barca knows how it runs better than anyone, and they knew what Mendicant saw as wrong in their realm, so we left it up to them to decide what to do, and Aurvandil would only provide input on their suggestions.

What I specifically wanted to do, was to tackle the culture of political cliques, the willingness of nobles to offer gold for the deaths of their political enemies, and the intra realm agreements to distribute power amongst certain nobles in a certain fashion. There were other lesser things as well but I'd have to dig up the messages to find them.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: June 29, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
Aurvandil heavily reminds me of the mongols, with their "Highest of the Sovereigns" and horribly efficient army.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: June 29, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
I gave them free mandate, Mendicant said in these exact words "change of consequence" which was deliberately vague, maximising their options and avenues to take on the issue, and minimising any arbitrary conditions on the part of Aurvandil which may do more damage than good. Barca knows how it runs better than anyone, and they knew what Mendicant saw as wrong in their realm, so we left it up to them to decide what to do, and Aurvandil would only provide input on their suggestions.

What I specifically wanted to do, was to tackle the culture of political cliques, the willingness of nobles to offer gold for the deaths of their political enemies, and the intra realm agreements to distribute power amongst certain nobles in a certain fashion. There were other lesser things as well but I'd have to dig up the messages to find them.

Yeah, Barca/we was/were really stupid to send down Julius as negotiator. *Sigh*
As for the claims, while not fabricated, it is clear that only one side of the story was presented (and see above comment for why the other side was not).

I really wish that I got my character got involved in the issue - I am sure that most of this could have been avoided in that instance. But trying to do anything in Barca is like trying to wade through quicksand.

I suppose I just didn't give credence to the claims, because they were a bit silly, and answers were all within reach.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:13:36 PM by Bael »

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: June 29, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
I'm glad to see I am not the only master of diplomacy out there. 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: June 29, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
You sent a Galvez as a negotiator, and didn't expect it to result in war?

That's like throwing a rock into the air and not expecting it to fall back to the ground.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: June 29, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »

That's like throwing a rock into the air and not expecting it to fall back to the ground.

So it seems.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: June 29, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
This brings back memories of people reappointing Brom after his first exile from Luria  ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: June 29, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »

That's our child Barca, always being louzy at diplomacy and bringing the wrath of superpowers against us.

Helps keep us all united. We have a lovely family. 8)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: June 30, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »
This brings back memories of people reappointing Brom after his first exile from Luria  ;)

To be fair, Brom did a great job on his return as Banker for quite a while. Granted, he can't play the good guy forever, but its not like that wasn't known.

At least when Brom causes wars to happen with his realm, he leaves them with one region. With Aurvandil attacking you, that may not happen.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: June 30, 2012, 01:10:13 AM »
That's our child Barca, always being louzy at diplomacy and bringing the wrath of superpowers against us.

Helps keep us all united. We have a lovely family. 8)

Yup.

So what you mean is: you demanded they do as you say, but then you didn't say and, when they didn't do, you got mad?

And by intra-realm agreements: you mean... elections?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: June 30, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »
Yup.

So what you mean is: you demanded they do as you say, but then you didn't say and, when they didn't do, you got mad?

And by intra-realm agreements: you mean... elections?

Mendicant demanded they do "something" and they did nothing, and Mendicant didn't get mad as a result, he decided to get proactive.

And no Velax, I don't mean elections.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: June 30, 2012, 01:25:57 AM »
Mendicant demanded they do "something" and they did nothing, and Mendicant didn't get mad as a result, he decided to get proactive.

And no Velax, I don't mean elections.

Vellos, not Velax. ;)

I'm just curious on an OOC basis what kind of reforms you had in mind. Demands for internal reforms in BM have generally boiled down to 3 things that I know of: changes of government style (becoming a theocracy, or republic, or monarchy, etc), changes of ruler/council members (create a puppet state), banishment of nobles. I'm hard pressed to think of other internal changes that have been demanded.

OOCly, what did you think they could even hypothetically have offered you?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: June 30, 2012, 02:16:58 AM »
Vellos, not Velax. ;)

I'm just curious on an OOC basis what kind of reforms you had in mind. Demands for internal reforms in BM have generally boiled down to 3 things that I know of: changes of government style (becoming a theocracy, or republic, or monarchy, etc), changes of ruler/council members (create a puppet state), banishment of nobles. I'm hard pressed to think of other internal changes that have been demanded.

OOCly, what did you think they could even hypothetically have offered you?

From my understanding of it Barca was asked to become a Monarchy.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: June 30, 2012, 02:34:31 AM »
From my understanding of it Barca was asked to become a Monarchy.

lulz.

And there you have it.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: June 30, 2012, 02:47:44 AM »
Yeah that didn't happen.