Author Topic: Character requested to step down to be replaced by other  (Read 6548 times)

mbeal44

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I have a character I ran in a referendum for lordship of a city and he became elected.  In Sirion we elect Dukes via council and so he was not officially elected.  I was advised it was against rules to step down a character to be replaced is this so?I am happy to take the character out of the position as I ran him simply to check popularity.  Clear response would be most welcome.

Zakilevo

And the main reason the council asked him to step down is because our duke's liege is the margrave and the duke doesn't have the options he supposed to have :p Fix the bug please.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
What would have been against the rules would have been to run in the election with the clear intention to step down afterwards, for example by announcing that you only intended to be a stand-in and had been willing to step down quickly before the election took place.

As far as I see (I have a character in Sirion), your character actually intended to keep the region. That he is being pushed out afterwards does not really come into play; sometimes, you just lose a power struggle.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Since you won the election you *were* "officially elected". Keep it. If they threaten to ban you, then threaten to secede!

Sirion is too big anyway...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Since you won the election you *were* "officially elected". Keep it. If they threaten to ban you, then threaten to secede!

He was elected as Margrave, not as Duke, so he can't secede. Now a Duke has been appointed, and the council is asking for him to step down so the Duke can take control of the city.

I agree that if he wants to keep it, he should. I'm just saying it would not be against the no place-holder rule to step down now because he did not ran on a placeholding platform, he was merely ordered to do so after the fact.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Also no one has threatened to ban him in any way (I really hope). He is a good and valued noble in Sirion community.

The Margrave getting the council position and not the Duke, is that a bug or feature? Should we adress the Feature Request board or the bugtracker about it?

edit: Nevermind, I just noted the reply in the other thread.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:15:53 PM by Thunthorn »
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
.... eh.. so dukes are elected via council.

what's that got to do with him as lord of city? dukes and lords of cities are completely different things.
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
what's that got to do with him as lord of city? dukes and lords of cities are completely different things.

None.

The council wants someone else; that's all. Power struggle and all those kind of things.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
He should definitely keep it. In fact, he should take the city to a different duchy, too. Really rub the other guy's face in it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I believe this whole debacle emphasises a bit the need to better integrate the (new) estate system within the old political one, namely to decide what is being elected and what not, who is automatically added to the realm council and who not and so on.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
there are bugs (dodgy hierarchy/messaging) and unfinished stuff - eg.. dukes can't even be elected..

it's more a case of... people don't like election results and want to get around it.
firefox

egamma

Don't step down. Keep in mind that the duke can raise your tax rate to 50%, but he risks losing the rest of the regions in the duchy by doing so. You won the election, the region is yours.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
there are bugs (dodgy hierarchy/messaging) and unfinished stuff - eg.. dukes can't even be elected..

it's more a case of... people don't like election results and want to get around it.

That is certainly one of the reasons, but another is that the ruler pushed the elected margrave to step down because the plan was to have the duke in the realm's council (which is the decisional body of Sirion), leaving then him to deal with the margrave election/appointment. However, when the ruler found out that the elected margrave was sitting in the council instead of the appointed duke, his whole idea crumbled down and requested the resignation.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
... that is called... a bug. just wait for it to be fixed.
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Do not resign unless your char was RP'ed as one likely to step down from thousands of gold per week just because someone asked nicely.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.