Author Topic: Implementing flanking in 1-D combat  (Read 21934 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Implementing flanking in 1-D combat
« Reply #60: July 06, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
Yeah, and that is where it gets tricky. You'd have to calculate region types in (cavalry isn't all that good in dense forests or mountains) as well as some region border properties we don't even have in the database yet (bridges, mostly).

But ohhhhh, how I would love to have those....
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: July 06, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Yeah, and that is where it gets tricky. You'd have to calculate region types in (cavalry isn't all that good in dense forests or mountains) as well as some region border properties we don't even have in the database yet (bridges, mostly).

Excellent point, and I very much like where it is going. You could do some really cool stuff with this.

Implementing terrain bonuses/penalties to combat is also an interesting and related idea, one I will spin off into its own thread.

Zakilevo

« Reply #62: July 06, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
Excellent point, and I very much like where it is going. You could do some really cool stuff with this.

Implementing terrain bonuses/penalties to combat is also an interesting and related idea, one I will spin off into its own thread.

Pretty sure this idea came up multiple times but was rejected due to not having enough impact.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #63: July 06, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
As always, I think we should do the simplest stuff coding wise first, then add in the details. Makes it easier on the devs. I don't know coding, so someone who does, could you tell me what would be simplest to code in out of the ideas mentioned by tom?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #64: July 06, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »

I actually didn't mean that. What I meant is that the running away / retreat part would depend on terrain types. On a plain, the cavalry can catch you if you have an hour or two of headstart. In the mountains? Not so much.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: July 07, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
I actually didn't mean that. What I meant is that the running away / retreat part would depend on terrain types. On a plain, the cavalry can catch you if you have an hour or two of headstart. In the mountains? Not so much.

Yes, I know, but it was a natural progression. That's partly why I said I'd spin it off. I like your idea just the way it is though, don't get me wrong. Terrain bonuses/penalties would be a different feature.