Author Topic: Monsters hmm  (Read 5884 times)

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Monsters hmm
« Topic Start: July 15, 2012, 01:52:25 AM »
Just a question that popped into my head not so long ago.

What are monsters exactly? Better yet what do you consider monsters?

I am just wondering what the BM community see Monster as, I particularly would like to see what other think first before I put my own opinion in. Everyone's opinion is welcome.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
Re: Monsters hmm
« Reply #1: July 15, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »
I've seen differing opinions. I'm of the opinion it can be anything from wolves and such to disturbing creatures that defy convention and description. We have daimons so there's no reason not to RP fighting some freaky creatures, though the specifics of the particular creatures you're fighting are yours to come up with. I do it based on the mood at the moment, really. I don't see why some wolves would be so damn powerful for larger monster groups so I usually RP some weird quasi-intelligent or mindless beastmen or horrors we must put down for the good of mankind.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 15, 2012, 02:08:42 AM »
I was pretty sure "monsters" was just a generic phrase and you can sort of plug in whichever sounds cool, like trolls or werewolves or unicorns (Eeevil unicorns). Sometimes when you hunt them as an Adventurer you get random items, but some of them hint at what it might've been unless you're the type that thinks a "unicorn horn" could just be some especially shiny sea shell.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: July 15, 2012, 02:12:37 AM »
TROLLS!  8)

I think of monsters as just abominations instead of D&D creatures. Anything looks ugly = monsters, like your noble!

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 15, 2012, 02:56:49 AM »
Interesting. I myself thought of trolls or some strange type of man who ran into a wizard that turned him into some beast. I was leaning toward goblins or wolves that were the size of horses.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 15, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »
Huh. Never heard mention of any of those. Player or GM-made?
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 15, 2012, 04:22:46 AM »
The Poryatown Press is/was an IC newspaper, player-run. (Even character-run.)

So, no GM involvement.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 15, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
I usually envision them as larger versions of Warhammer Beastmen (for example http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/File:Beastman_concept.jpg)
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 16, 2012, 02:18:56 AM »
Having enjoyed greatly LOTR, I always portrait them as wolves, bandits or goblins if low CS/unit or trolls/insert other badass creature here if high CS/unit. After having undead running everywhere I find it to be quite plausible.
D'Espana Family

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #10: July 16, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »
How are bandits a "badass creature"? :P

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 16, 2012, 03:34:55 AM »
They aren't, that's why they fall under the low CS/unit ratio, just along those creatures that are an annoyance only in dangerously high quantities  ;D
D'Espana Family

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: July 16, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
What are monsters exactly? Better yet what do you consider monsters?

It is very intentional that it is not specified any closer, so every realm or even everyone for himself can come up with what satisfies him most, including the fantasy/low-fantasy conflicts of someone saying "we have fire-breathing direwolves in X" and someone else retorting with "I'll be there with my cavalry soon, do not believe the superstitious peasants, surely it is just a pack of regular wolves.".

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #13: July 16, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
You used a form of lycanthrope to represent the monsters on BT for the books in the Dream, didn't you Tom?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: July 16, 2012, 03:11:32 PM »
You used a form of lycanthrope to represent the monsters on BT for the books in the Dream, didn't you Tom?

Which doesn't mean other creatures do not also fall into the category.