Author Topic: IMPLEMENTED: Implicit provisions for troop units  (Read 8806 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
The penalty for troops in starving regions won't go away. (Or not permanently, if Tom decides to reduce it temporarily.) But there definitely needs to be some way to reduce it, or plan for it by bringing food/supplies.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:01:27 AM by egamma »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
Re: Implicit provisions for troop units
« Reply #16: July 17, 2012, 10:30:54 PM »
It's just one of the "fun" spin offs you get with BM's realism in such matters I suppose  :)

But being serious It's definitely something that often proved even more of a bugbear for them back then, as Verbruggen spends a whole chapter relating the problems it caused them, as likewise how they solved/attempted solve or worked around it.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

egamma

« Reply #17: July 17, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »
Instead of immediate starvation, how about the troops movement slows, morale and cohesion drop?

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 18, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »
I think the starvation of troops is very important.  I would even suggest that it be more difficult to combat troop starvation when in enemy lands.  And starvation be more severe once it sets in.  However it does need to be combatable.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 18, 2012, 02:35:22 AM »
And starvation be more severe once it sets in.
More severe?! Entering a region with extreme starvation can immediately cause up to half of your soldiers to instantly be wounded. To get any more severe you may as well just kill them all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 18, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
I don't actually see a problem with that.  My point is, any army which is not prepared for battle should not survive. 
I like the idea of having to choose which regions to travel through in order to accumulate the most food.  I would suggest this be included in the army treasury somehow.  But not simply by having the Sponsor buy the food directly. 
Perhaps the sponsor can choose how the food is collected, the rate at which it is payed for as it passes a region. 
This food issue may also be able to discourage blob army mentality.  If a region can only support so many troops, some will starve. 

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: July 18, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
The willingness of the peasants to provide for the troops should be dependent on their view of the realm whose army it is - regardless of the banner the region flies.

+1

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #22: July 18, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
Design decision - that means the points below are not up for discussion anymore:

• Units will get one additional value "provisions" or something.
  • This value will automatically fill up to a yet-to-be-determined maximum amount when they are within friendly territory.
  • Outside their own realm, it will fill up depending on diplomacy and sympathy.
  • In regions with lack of food, it will be depleted.
  • When it runs out, the normal starvation rules apply.
  • All other details and extensions, like being able to explicitly buy food, etc. are for later.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: July 18, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
Very simple test code (literally less than 20 lines) in Testing now. It shows you your current provision level, will only supply inside your own realm, and the calculations are very trivial (+10 % per turn to resupply, -20% per turn whenever you are in a region that has no surplus. That means that you use up provisions when there is no starvation, but the population needs to be fed from the warehouse - i.e. most cities. But your troops will not starve as long as the region is not starving.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: July 18, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
Would be nice if you loot region, it would fill up your units food stock _if_ warehouses have food.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #25: July 18, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Would be nice if you loot region, it would fill up your units food stock _if_ warehouses have food.

That's a good idea. Does someone feel in charge of collecting all the good suggestions, so we can put them on a timetable for implementation? It depends not only on how good the idea is, but also on how easy it is to implement. What I added today was literally done in 30 minutes, including testing.

egamma

« Reply #26: July 18, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
That's a good idea. Does someone feel in charge of collecting all the good suggestions, so we can put them on a timetable for implementation? It depends not only on how good the idea is, but also on how easy it is to implement. What I added today was literally done in 30 minutes, including testing.

How? New thread? bugtracker? Maybe use the Bugtracker roadmap feature?

Zakilevo

« Reply #27: July 19, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
Either starvation should be reworked or there should be another reliable system to feed your men. We won't be able to stay in a starving region for more than 4 or 5 days with this provisions stuff.

Why not just make carts carry food as well? instead of adding another modifier to complicate things even further?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #28: July 19, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and see how provisions pans out.

The original feature request is now satisfied.  Further discussion do not belong in this very succinct and direct subforum. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #29: July 20, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »
Either starvation should be reworked or there should be another reliable system to feed your men. We won't be able to stay in a starving region for more than 4 or 5 days with this provisions stuff.

Cry me a river. That's kind of the whole point, you know? Starvation should hurt your troops if you do not prepare, and thinking you can stay there for forever is kind of a lousy preparation.

If you need to stay in a starving region for TO, harassing the enemy or just plain fun, you need to take starvation into account. Cycle troops in and out to resupply, for example.