Author Topic: Male v. Female Characters  (Read 4063 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Male v. Female Characters
« Topic Start: July 19, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »
I was wondering the other day about male and female characters. I don't think it is presumptuous to assume that the BM player base is probably heavily male dominated. However, there are some questions regarding gender of players and characters that could be interesting.

- How many male players choose to play female characters? How many? 1 of your 3/4? 2 of your 3/4?
- Of our female players, do you play mostly all female characters with 1 or 2 male characters, etc?
- It would be interesting to see a stat per continent of the female/male noble percentage. ie. what is the noble gender split on a continent?
- IC do you treat female characters differently? Male characters if playing a female?
- Do you put a lot of effort into playing male and female characters differently than the other?

Others questions and discussion welcome.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
Re: Male v. Female Characters
« Reply #1: July 19, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
I have 2 females and 2 males in BM. I distinctly play them with different personalities, but then again I'm not exactly your typical man...

I grew up in a family of female majority, am a total Momma's Boy, (a bit effeminate to be honest), and get along with women very well. That and I used to get confused for a woman due to my mid-back length black hair and slender body, but that's a totally different story and no longer applies since I bulked up from working out and cut my hair very short.

I usually play female characters, actually. I personally feel I'm split between male and female and thus roleplay as both.

I'm glad to see that most female characters, whether controlled by males or females, are roleplayed well rather than your stereotypical over-effeminate drama-queens I've seen in a lot of RPs. The one drama-queen I know, Allison, does it with poise and style. I've seen a lot of people as kings in Far East and other continents who, quite frankly, shouldn't be allowed to lead. Then again, their ignorance, naivette, or downright cruel natures make the game interesting. I'd imagine a war game full of patient, level-headed monarchs would be flamingly boring compared to a game where everyone roleplays impatient, angry bastards. :-P

I've seen very, VERY few women in BM.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: July 19, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »
2 females and 3 males. Used to play 4 males and a female but paused my male to create a character else where.

I try to make them have different personalities but I don't know how well I am doing with that.

Doubt people will find any difference rofl.

egamma

« Reply #3: July 20, 2012, 05:15:42 AM »
I'm male, I currently have 3 males and 1 female. The female character is just an order-follower, nothing female about her. Then again, the men aren't very male. IRL I'm married, so I don't want to get into any RP that my wife would question.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 20, 2012, 05:32:59 AM »
I seem to remember Gaston chasing after more than one woman in the past...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 20, 2012, 06:20:17 AM »
I'm male, and I've only attempted to play two female characters in Battlemaster.  Neither turned out well, and I didn't do much with them.

And yes, my male characters respond to female characters differently than male characters.  Even Malcolm, despite his...Flexibility.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: July 20, 2012, 06:37:24 AM »
I'm male, and I have an alcohol problem... wait, I mean a female character creation problem. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 20, 2012, 06:45:32 AM »
All my female characters have been adventurers.  :-\

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #8: July 20, 2012, 06:51:37 AM »
Maybe that means something, Sypher.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 20, 2012, 07:02:54 AM »
Maybe so.

The first time I had a female character in a tabletop RPG, a cursed item turned her into a guy.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 20, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »
I play two male and two female chars. All of them are based on real life persons.

I grew up in female dominating family. My mom still commands and orders me, my sister plays annoying pranks on me, and you can get the rest.

* Alvin is a medieval c/p of me, goody two shoes

* Elicia is based on my sister, annoying yet caring

* Rosie is based on my first (ex) girlfriend

* Arthur is based on my best friend at high school
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 20, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
I play 3 male characters and 1 female character. Heh 8)

* Ash Ketchum
Origin: The male character who are, yes from Pokemon world Ash Ketchum.
He is Oritolon realm Judge and will be stepping down soon.
He is also the realm Ambassador, and has skill in Diplomacy, and talk a lot.
He knows a lot of characters than all my characters combined.
The most widest networking character I ever has and also the first character I created.
Ever hear of pen is mightier than a sword?

* May Ketchum
Origin: The female character, who is also another Pokemon character.
Due to Ash Ketchum reputation as the good old Judge, I try to play May a bit differently.
She is more pacifist nature than the her brother Ash.
She used to be Warrior Princess when she in battles in Sirion.
Until she come to Oritolon, then hear the "funny" bell striking from Path of Chivalry temple.
And she become peace-monger.
However she will do what is necessary to protect what she think is right.
There will be something interesting coming up for her. Stay tuned!

* Brock Ketchum
Origin: The male character, in Pokemon world, he is Ash's best friend. In Battlemaster, he left the family home due to dispute with his brother Ash Ketchum.
He rises up from lowly Adventurer status to become a full right Noble.
Encountered a lot of conflicts as a new Fontan Noble instead of Fontan Adventurer.
The first adventurer to be ever discussed in Fontan Assembly due to him breaking every noble Unique Items that entrusted to him for repair.
After that, he managed to get Fontan Banker post.
Then he resigned his post as Fontan Banker to become a normal Knight in Nivemus.
Basically he tired of all fighting for no reasonable cause anymore.

* Oak Ketchum
Origin: The male character, anyone remember Professor Oak who give Pikachu to Ash in Pokemon?
He is an Adventurer, hunting down monsters, undead and also Unique Items.
The latest character created and I still need to flesh his background.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

egamma

« Reply #12: July 20, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
I seem to remember Gaston chasing after more than one woman in the past...

Two, if you count the former ruler of Archaron. But there wasn't a real hope of him getting either woman.