Author Topic: Rough Idea to escalate conflicts  (Read 6025 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Rough Idea to escalate conflicts
« Topic Start: July 22, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
This is far from finished, but I think most players agree we could use a little more war.
But we don't want to add more stupid game mechanics to force war, or the only thing we end up with is tons of fake wars.

The other problem I am trying to solve is that so many wars are until one realm is destroyed.

So here is a rough outline of an idea to promote more, limited wars: Challenges to honour and escalation of conflict.

The rough idea is that players can "challenge" each other in a subtle way, i.e. the challenged one doesn't know what the challenge is for. A challenge is accompanied by a message. The challenged then sets his own stake, hidden again.
The game mechanics would be a condition that needs to happen.

Basically, both parties have bet something. Now the conflict escalates as both parties try to push or trick each other into fulfilling the condition. Whoever succeeds first wins something (prestige, honour, whatever) while the loser loses some.
You can also back out of a challenge, at some cost, and they would have to have a time limit, depending on large the challenge.

Challenges can be lots of things - the other changes realm, disbands his unit, loses his region, etc. etc. - the important thing is that it's not something he profits from and that you can not do to him without overcoming resistance (e.g. If you are the judge, change of realms would not be a challenge because you can ban).

It's a very rough idea, so please don't get lost in the details at this point. He important elements are messages/role play, hidden stakes and escalation of conflict.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Rough Idea to escalate conflicts
« Reply #1: July 22, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
One idea - posted seperately because it is just one of many possibilities - would be to have it really be "versus bets", i.e. you put up what you think you can get the other to do, and what you bet on it - some points of honour, gold, your region, etc.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 22, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »
This sounds really, really good.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 22, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
This sounds SERIOUSLY entertaining.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: July 22, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
interesting. but did medieval nobles ever do this kind of stuff?

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 22, 2012, 10:46:18 PM »
Hmm, I am not sure if this is relevant, but thinking in terms of poker and such, what if the "bets" were such that you would need to keep piling more and more of them if none of the conditions are fulfilled. Say you first put your region on line, and so does the other guy. Neither condition is met, so you both need to put something more on line. It could default to honor/prestige but you could put gold aside too, or some other stuff. So either you chicken out and lose your bets or push on and make it even more risky for you.

There are many opportunities here for sure.

- Who converts more nobles to his faith in Z time
- which of the two cities is the first one to starve
- which of the two realms has to elect a ruler sooner
- which of the two realms will have a rebellion next
- which realm shall fist conquer three new regions
- which noble shall be the first one to assault a city

Oh it would be lovely. "You, Sir, are but full of hot air! If you really believe you are the bravest one of us, let's see which one of us shall first defeat a monster horde with his own unit alone!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: July 22, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »
Hmm, I am not sure if this is relevant, but thinking in terms of poker and such, what if the "bets" were such that you would need to keep piling more and more of them if none of the conditions are fulfilled. Say you first put your region on line, and so does the other guy. Neither condition is met, so you both need to put something more on line. It could default to honor/prestige but you could put gold aside too, or some other stuff. So either you chicken out and lose your bets or push on and make it even more risky for you.

There are many opportunities here for sure.

- Who converts more nobles to his faith in Z time
- which of the two cities is the first one to starve
- which of the two realms has to elect a ruler sooner
- which of the two realms will have a rebellion next
- which realm shall fist conquer three new regions
- which noble shall be the first one to assault a city

Oh it would be lovely. "You, Sir, are but full of hot air! If you really believe you are the bravest one of us, let's see which one of us shall first defeat a monster horde with his own unit alone!"

Betting your region should be the last result. It is everything to you as a lord. A land your family will live off of for generations. Shouldn't be taken so lightly.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 23, 2012, 02:29:10 AM »
If you don't know what they are wagering, then how will the wagers be kept mostly fair?  I mean, all you have to do to win is make your bet that they will not capture your capital.  Granted capitals can be taken, but they are usually the last thing to go.
I like the idea, but I don't see how it will be made to be fair and workable.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 23, 2012, 02:31:52 AM »
I'm confused, is this supposed to be between characters or between realms?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: July 23, 2012, 02:41:48 AM »
I'm confused, is this supposed to be between characters or between realms?

Pretty sure it is between characters.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 23, 2012, 03:04:35 AM »
Then how will it cause wars?

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 23, 2012, 03:09:40 AM »
Then how will it cause wars?

Realms are ruled by characters.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 23, 2012, 03:37:14 AM »
How about this?

- whichever realm lost the most CS(Combat Strength) or most battles within a certain timeperiod will lose the regions they bet on in Challenge
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 23, 2012, 03:45:13 AM »
It sounds a lot like metabets, but brought IC not sure I care for it.

Edit: I guess it depends on exactly how it's implemented. But it just sounds... metagamey... wagering honor and prestige?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:54:02 AM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 23, 2012, 04:51:40 AM »
Realms are ruled by characters.

Sure, but these kinds of things seem more likely to happen between players of the same realm. I mean, I know people from different realms do interact, but still 90% of a character's interaction is with people of their own realm I would say--and thats who you're going to get into the kind of arguments with where these "challenges" would be issued I would think. I don't know. This just seems kind of weirdly "gamey" to me or something.

A better option I think would simply to finish the old "new diplomacy" stuff. What was wrong with that and why did it get shut down? Seems like that would have achieved everything Tom stated he was wanting above and more. War Declarations for specifics regions, wars of trade and passage rights, etc. etc.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)