Author Topic: Creating banners  (Read 6661 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Creating banners
« Topic Start: July 24, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »
I was just wondering, what tool do people use to make new banners?

Aurvandil has been needing a new banner now for a year, but any attempts I've made have been pretty poor (largely due to a lack of graphical skill on my part).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Creating banners
« Reply #1: July 24, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
GIMP is a popular one. It's a very powerful photo editor. It's also free/open source. If you prefer vector-based drawing tools, InkScape is also pretty decent, free/open source.

But without any artistic ability, you're probably going to have a hard time creating something decent. There may be members of the community willing to make one for you. Shenron was making quite a few for people. He quite, restarted, and has now quit again. But he has a wiki page with some of the stuff he's done that are available for use: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/User:Shenron/Banners

You may be able to crib some ideas from the old Dwilight Realm Banner Competition entries: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Contests/Dwilight_Realm_Banners/Submissions
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 24, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
The free version doesn't have many options, but the paid one is somewhat nicer:
http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/free-version/
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 01, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »
I was just wondering, what tool do people use to make new banners?

Aurvandil has been needing a new banner now for a year, but any attempts I've made have been pretty poor (largely due to a lack of graphical skill on my part).

Fury might be someone else to contact. For a while he was offering to do Family Crests for people that looked quite slick, so it wouldn't surprise me if he also has the tools and ability to do a new banner for you.

Fury

« Reply #4: August 02, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »
Yeah, sure.
I haven't refused anyone yet.
Just need the details.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 02, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
I wonder if he'd be up to help with a design for my new religion... :-)
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Fury

« Reply #6: August 02, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »
Hey, what's with the 3rd person?  ::)
I'm right here. Have I said I needed details yet?  :o

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: August 02, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
Hey, what's with the 3rd person?  ::)
I'm right here. Have I said I needed details yet?  :o

Wait you make banners Fury? Can I ask one too? :D

Fury

« Reply #8: August 02, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »
Sure. First come (with the details) first served.

Lionheart

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 19, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
I used photoshop for OG

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 19, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
Hmm. I definitely need a banner for my religion...

I'd use my back tattoo design but it'd need to be shrunken down to fit the banner. :-| Its one of the final scenes in my old Fantasy novel where the religion stems from. Its a tall, white-stone, ruined tower (a phallic symbol of solidarity, purity and power, yet damaged by hardship and the passage of time) with two dragons - one blue and gold, the other black and red - (symbolizing the clash of dualism) of specific coloring spiraling up the tower opposite each other, emulating a strand of DNA, their wings stretched out with their maws open near the top, teeth sharp, as if they are threatening to swallow whole the eclipsed sun and moon floating above the tower's apex (symbolizing the dangers of either moral extreme and how harmony can only exist when there is balance betwixt the two. Should either extreme gain too much power then it will by nature destabilize the entire system and destroy everything in the process.)

The actual design is much more complex than that but effectively that's what I'd like my banner to be. Tower, dragons on either side, sun at the top. Doesn't need to be very detailed or anything.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 19, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »
stuff
Sounds like an awesome banner.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 19, 2012, 10:37:20 PM »
:-) Even better tattoo! I'd like to paint it one day, too. Its *supposed* to be a massive landscape piece in which the Daimons and Angelis are fighting as allies for the first time in Human history, against the Skyborn (a Lovecraftian collective of alien monstrosities from another dimension who have their own gods and such) and other agents of the betrayers who sought to take the power of the Highest Divine for themselves and murder Apothos the Lightbringer, aka Pan-en, the concept-made-vessel that filters the world's life energy like an immortal battery. The tower is supposed to, ahem, tower over the ocean with much of the broken continent apparent (since in the previous Wintering, Hadrean the Destroyer was born from Alekh'thaeos betrayal and manipulation of Dragonkind, who pretty much grabbed the tower Kha'mael was fashioning from an asteroid and thrust it toward the planet in disgust of the demigod-led armies fighting like base pitiful beasts who dared to go against the will of the gods, resulting in an extinction event that annihilated much of the planet's life before the Highest Divine showed up and sort-of fixed the world enough to barely function.

Tldr; pissed off newborn God-Killer throws thin, pointy asteroid-sized spear and skewers planet, murdering a good 80% of the population of the entire world, annihilating the central continent and seat of the greatest empires, bringing countless races to the brink of extinction, and effectively ending the War of the Ascended (demigods riled up mortals and rebelled against the true gods) in one giant, angsty "!@#$ YOU!".

Anyway, you can read what I have posted so far in this thread:

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2639.msg63487.html#msg63487

I'm going to start working on the Wiki today and seeing what I can scrape up of my old Lore... A bloody decade I worked on that Fantasy novel and I lost everything because of an idiot thief who thought my bags had something value in them. I bet the !@#$%^& took one look at my crazy drawings and language and threw all my work away. Bah...

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 26, 2012, 07:00:25 AM »
This is the one I used to make Myern's arms.

http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: August 27, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
One general remark here: When making new banners, please make them in PNG format with transparent background. That will soon become the new official rule.