Author Topic: Down with the peace keepers!  (Read 34533 times)

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Down with the peace keepers!
« Reply #60: May 06, 2011, 04:40:41 AM »
Chivalry and torture are totally seperate concepts in many areas.  The odd dicotomy is that it was considered vicious and vile and that was why it was very important to have someone else do it, however, torture for the purpose of religious purification has a long history in the chivilratic tradition, nobody said boo when the King of France tortured every Knight Templar he could get his hands on, and Machiavelli considered it a common tool in the ruler's toolbox even though he himself was tortured at length.

I fully realize that may not be the best thing for the Arcachon power-wise, but it tells a much better story and feels much more authentic.  Torture was an important part of the middle ages and is integrally tied to religion (arguably we wouldn't have modern catholicism and protestantism without it) so I feel it's on solid ground to say "There are no Atheists," as well as "There are times when someone needs to be tortured for their own (religious) good."

What I know as a player and what Ciann knows are leagues different, I'm a modern human who sees that certain things are inconsistent, while she is a half-literate dark ages religious zealot.  I try not to let my modern sensibilities bleed into that mindframe unless it's for pure advancement of story or to stop her from simply ruining someone else's story without advancing it, but I'm not about to grant her a faith that is either internally consistent or based on logical suppositions which can be built from basic assumptions.  Sometimes it may make her extra-ignorant but I'd rather that then the opposite.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: May 06, 2011, 06:22:44 AM »
Hey, I'm enjoying the RP of it.  It's going to make that particular war much more satisfying to fight.  Just filling in how much of the continent feels.

(grins) In a way, you could say Ciann's the more merciful one.  Jenred'll just kill you and let your god sort you out.  Ciann at least tries to save you first!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Calanar

• Knight
  • Harbinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: May 06, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
If you guys are going to pick on Ziode, then at least let him defend himself... :P

Nah. It was fun in Kindara. Everyone thought Ziode wanted peace, but really, Ziode wanted Kindara to have influence, and when your realm is made of nobles from 5 different realms, and all of those nobles are still almost blindly loyal to their old realms, you can't really do much except politically. I think Ziode worked well with what he had. Now if only Alpha hadn't handed Kindara over to that large group of Beluaterrans who immigrated there, I'd be happier.
"The first requisite for success is to develop the ability to focus and apply your mental and physical energies to the problem at hand [...]" - Thomas Edison

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: May 06, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
And I'd take that more seriously if you hadn't stated, OOC, to the Rulers, that you were intentionally playing Ziode in such a way to prevent wars.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: May 06, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »
If you guys are going to pick on Ziode, then at least let him defend himself... :P

Nah. It was fun in Kindara. Everyone thought Ziode wanted peace, but really, Ziode wanted Kindara to have influence, and when your realm is made of nobles from 5 different realms, and all of those nobles are still almost blindly loyal to their old realms, you can't really do much except politically. I think Ziode worked well with what he had. Now if only Alpha hadn't handed Kindara over to that large group of Beluaterrans who immigrated there, I'd be happier.

If you couldn't unite your nobles, what real chance did you have of establishing any real influence? Very difficult to convince the rest of a continent to take your political maneuvererings seriously when they know you are working from a fractured support base. It might give them pause, but then they will just start sowing discontent until you end up having to focus on the home front.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Calanar

• Knight
  • Harbinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: May 06, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
How much do you even know about Ziode? He's older than most of the Far East's nobility except Brian, Alpha, and a few others. His mentor was a viking and he's actually an elder of the  ~V~ Hall of Blood and Battle guild (and will be when he finally rejoins and gets the title back... intercontinental trips ruin guild status.). :P

He likes peace, yes, but his peace playing is because of the fragmented support base. Plus, Kindara's kinda wedged into a corner of the world, like Arcachon with a land route. And considering the nobles, there are only so many places to go, like he was riding a bicycle without some of the bolts holding it all together... You can't really go far.
"The first requisite for success is to develop the ability to focus and apply your mental and physical energies to the problem at hand [...]" - Thomas Edison

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: May 06, 2011, 03:08:55 PM »
I haven't heard anything about a rebellion in Cathay . . .

. . . if you're referring to the rebellion in Kindara, though, curious to see how that plays out and affects things.  Don't know that it's actually all that good for conflict, though, the reason it succeeded was due to most of Kindara's army having already marched off to go to war (or so I hear).

It would have succeeded either way. There were about 8 or 9 certain rebels maybe a few more. I also had about 1400, before distributing 800, gold on hand to finance it. I hadn't actually planned on rebelling until about 2 days before it happened. Alpha was travelling to GA, and after some convincing by Devan rerouted back to the capital. Once there I disbanded my militia. Recruited 1200CS of r4 archers. Devan had about as much in heavy infantry.  All nobles in the capital were rebels.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: May 06, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »

Ziode did relatively well when the nature of Kindara was considered. I'm kind of surprised it held together for as long as it did. I regret that the war had to be Arcaea v GA. About any other, and Alpha would be all to happy to go to war. I was hoping the next conflict would be one that would be easier to enter.

To be honest, I didn't expect Tissaphernes to be elected. I was expecting Lazarath, or perhaps Devan to win.  At first, Alpha tried to get Galdor to run.  I was fairly certain Alpha couldn't win, and I don't really have the time to actively rule. Near the end, I was somewhat concerned that Alpha was going to be protested out over removing Lazarath as marshal.

Devan would have certainly been the most interesting to win, given the advocation for war with practically everyone.  Alpha would have probably supported him, if not for the support he voiced for Zonasa.  Alpha hates Zonasa.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: May 06, 2011, 03:38:12 PM »
Arcachon has been stuck in a corner forever and bickers with itself constantly, but manages to find itself at war pretty much permenantly.

Then again, not so many long lived leaders.

Calanar

• Knight
  • Harbinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: May 06, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »
That's why Ziode stepped down. He knew how the rebellion would end. The moment the first militia was disbanded Ziode knew there was a rebellion. That was maybe a good several hours to a day before it started though, and you might be surprised to know Ziode still has a voice there. Maybe there were a bunch of rebels, but Ziode kept the loyalists safe. It's just a matter of whether or not he'll return. Probably not. :P I planned, plotted, and built a realm. I'm happy Ziode kept it together, but no one was going to listen to him if he did have information. What was he going to say to Kindara? You're all a bunch of blindly loyal buffoons who need to realize that you are no longer a part of your old realms? :P The rebellion's in the past as far as I'm concerned, though Ziode might just take a crack at Devan if he gets the chance. I hope it at least sparked some good RP.

Rebellion aside, I just don't think Ziode's a peace keeper. He's pro peace, but it's just circumstances made him more active in that department than others.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: May 06, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
Ziode did relatively well when the nature of Kindara was considered. I'm kind of surprised it held together for as long as it did. I regret that the war had to be Arcaea v GA. About any other, and Alpha would be all to happy to go to war. I was hoping the next conflict would be one that would be easier to enter.

That pretty much sums up Kindara's problem ^^;

So many people are still loyal to their old realms, and hold the same grudges as their old realms, and on top of that, they're all different realms, which leads to us doing a whole lot of nothing. Well, Min has her (very strong, over-voiced) opinions on what that means/why that is, but as a player I just don't see how it's actually fun to play that way? We're bored and losing nobles, we get a perfectly legitimate RP reason to go to war, half the people don't want to mess with their old friends, we end up doing nothing, and then go back to saying we're bored again. And we wonder why? ~sigh~ It's hard on the characters who were "born" in Kindara. All we see are bunch of loyalists who should just go home if their only function is to be a roadblock to Kindara's Future Greatness™
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:07:27 PM by Hyral »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: May 06, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
Still waiting for Ohnar retaliation to our northern foray  ;)

That would require someone in Ohnar West to actually care about Arcachon.

And also for the marshal in charge of Ohnar West's main army to care more about defending Ohnar West than attacking Greater Aenilia. Which she doesn't. Too bad no one in Ohnar West has figured that out yet....
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: May 07, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
That would require someone in Ohnar West to actually care about Arcachon.

And also for the marshal in charge of Ohnar West's main army to care more about defending Ohnar West than attacking Greater Aenilia. Which she doesn't. Too bad no one in Ohnar West has figured that out yet....

Actually, the marshal of the Keeper's Legion did figure it out... but since Duchess Taylin stole the best of the Keeper's Legion, she's just giving up and waiting until Sasrhas declares itself independent from Ohnar West.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: May 07, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
Besides, it is probably Adghar's will that Ohnar West loses it's northern regions to Arcachon. 

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: May 07, 2011, 06:54:21 AM »
What?  the purpose of this war is merely to capture Sundar, the single most awesome character in the entire FEI.

What else matters beyond having one such as he to complain about the food and drink?  Only he will understand Ciann's terrible, terrible fear of Maos.

I can think of no IC way to ever arrange for that marriage but by god if I ever do it is happening.  "Behold the Phantom Queen comes upon your lands to spread terror...and look for new shoes...no, no, they are for her husband.  He says leather won't do...No, I DON'T KNOW!  Burn the City, Spare the Lace Shops!"

Greatest crusade ever *wipes a tear*.  Just need to get annexed by Arcaea and the dream has a chance of coming to pass.