Author Topic: Down with the peace keepers!  (Read 36357 times)

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Down with the peace keepers!
« Reply #60: May 06, 2011, 04:40:41 AM »
Chivalry and torture are totally seperate concepts in many areas.  The odd dicotomy is that it was considered vicious and vile and that was why it was very important to have someone else do it, however, torture for the purpose of religious purification has a long history in the chivilratic tradition, nobody said boo when the King of France tortured every Knight Templar he could get his hands on, and Machiavelli considered it a common tool in the ruler's toolbox even though he himself was tortured at length.

I fully realize that may not be the best thing for the Arcachon power-wise, but it tells a much better story and feels much more authentic.  Torture was an important part of the middle ages and is integrally tied to religion (arguably we wouldn't have modern catholicism and protestantism without it) so I feel it's on solid ground to say "There are no Atheists," as well as "There are times when someone needs to be tortured for their own (religious) good."

What I know as a player and what Ciann knows are leagues different, I'm a modern human who sees that certain things are inconsistent, while she is a half-literate dark ages religious zealot.  I try not to let my modern sensibilities bleed into that mindframe unless it's for pure advancement of story or to stop her from simply ruining someone else's story without advancing it, but I'm not about to grant her a faith that is either internally consistent or based on logical suppositions which can be built from basic assumptions.  Sometimes it may make her extra-ignorant but I'd rather that then the opposite.