Author Topic: Government Systems  (Read 3884 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Government Systems
« Topic Start: August 16, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
Question: if I change the government system while ruler, say, from judge being elected quarterly to some more frequent term, when does that take effect? After the next election or immediately?

Basically, if I set a council post to a shorter term, will they have to stand for elections here in 15 days or so? I've never really done much with it before.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Government Systems
« Reply #1: August 16, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
All changes to position terms take effect immediately. If you change an appointed position to elected just before sunrise on the first day of the month, the election will start right then.

And, of course, vice versa: if you change an elected position to appointed, the next election will not run.  Unless, of course, there's an election running right then, in which case it will run its course.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 16, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
If you change an appointed position to elected just before sunrise on the first day of the month, the election will start right then.

Has this ever been done?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 16, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
Has this ever been done?

Not that I know of. Sounds like fun, though.

I did something along those lines once, though, to get rid of a really annoying judge in Pian en Luries and replace him with my character's brother-in-law.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 16, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
Not that I know of. Sounds like fun, though.

That's what I was thinking. Was piddling around with gov options and thought of it. It'd be hilarious to start the election a few hours before the vote.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 17, 2012, 07:15:47 AM »
...I like where this is going!
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 17, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
Question: let's say I were to change the system for a council position to "appointment." Could I fire the council member IMMEDIATELY?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 17, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
Question: let's say I were to change the system for a council position to "appointment." Could I fire the council member IMMEDIATELY?

Don't think so. I don't think you can fire them period. Only appoint them when it's vacant.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 17, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »

Question: Has anyone in the history of BM ever been able to "fire" a council member?

(Spoiler: The answer is no. You can't fire council members. You have to get them to step down, seriously wound them, protest them out, or get their Lord to change allegiance to another realm.)
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #9: August 17, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »
Wow, never realized that last option existed. >:D
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 17, 2012, 05:32:19 PM »
tyrants couldn't fire people? (never been in a tyranny..)
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 17, 2012, 05:33:18 PM »
Does the seriously wound thing work for rulers too? And that last one is thinking outside the box though it won't work for rulers.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 17, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
tyrants couldn't fire people? (never been in a tyranny..)

I thought this was the case.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 17, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
No.

No Ruler in the history of BattleMaster has ever been able to replace a sitting Council member at their own whim.

Not in a Tyranny, not in a Theocracy, not anywhere, under any circumstances, ever.
Timothy Collett