Author Topic: Message History Dump Files  (Read 10596 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Message History Dump Files
« Reply #15: August 29, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
Personal messages can be easily forged still regardless of what format we export.  It's public messages that become difficult to forge, once everyone has their own "reliable" copy of their message logs. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: August 29, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
So we must make it into a feature that isn't free - it should take hours and/or gold or something else to get the message log, just so not everyone exports everything all the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 29, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »
I dunno about imposing IC penalties for what is, in most respects, an OOC feature.

How about just making it slow? Not only would that make people think twice before trying to do it all the time, if we do it right, it could reduce the load on the server that it creates.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 29, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
Hello!

In history only important event, or comments with great relevance were keep into books. Like battles, memorable speech, conquest and destruction which only the victor should only write.

There were cases where the other side, had their own version, but were mostly a rejected source. If you take history into account the books only had important things, but not all cultures decided to save things on books.

So with my TL;DR i am trying to say is, that we should leave those who want to save the messages they want, by themselves or in the books (WIKI)

Books didn't saved whatever people said, but just important event, so if we are to having the save (something) feature, it should be for important things, because it how always is.

The Wiki is the place to save important things of each realm's history, because if your realm is destroyed, it doesn't matter how many years of messages you have stored, it will be USELESS. Unless you want to discuss at some point who was the lord of X region of X realm on X time.

peace!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 29, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
If you make the "official" feature too onerous to use, then people will do what they always done in the past: view all message from the past 30 days, then File > Save. And all you've done is spend a lot of time to implement a feature no one uses.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 29, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
view all message from the past 30 days, then File > Save.

Son of a bitch...I've been copy/pasting everything. Do you know how long it takes even a decent computer to paste 150,000 words? A long frigging time. And I could have just been doing File > Save Page As the whole damn time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 29, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
It takes a few seconds of File > Save. 8)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 30, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
Hello!

In history only important event, or comments with great relevance were keep into books. Like battles, memorable speech, conquest and destruction which only the victor should only write.

There were cases where the other side, had their own version, but were mostly a rejected source. If you take history into account the books only had important things, but not all cultures decided to save things on books.

So with my TL;DR i am trying to say is, that we should leave those who want to save the messages they want, by themselves or in the books (WIKI)

Books didn't saved whatever people said, but just important event, so if we are to having the save (something) feature, it should be for important things, because it how always is.

The Wiki is the place to save important things of each realm's history, because if your realm is destroyed, it doesn't matter how many years of messages you have stored, it will be USELESS. Unless you want to discuss at some point who was the lord of X region of X realm on X time.

peace!

Published books maybe. This feature is more of a correspondence journal. That is why Historians LOVE finding such sources of information, since they contain the day to day stuff that helps better understand the realities of a time period.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 30, 2012, 02:06:35 AM »
So one thing we can already add is that it needs to be in a form that allows easy forgery, i.e. no message IDs, etc.

What format? Text? HTML? XML?

Note that this does. Not mean a general yes or no. Just checking if there are more issues if we think about it in more detail.
Tom, you are the most flexible person I ever known. Thank you for your change-in-opinion :)

I think text format will do fine. As long as the format can bring convenience to everyone who all are using the same thing~~
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 30, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »
Tom, you are the most flexible person I ever known. Thank you for your change-in-opinion :)

I think text format will do fine. As long as the format can bring convenience to everyone who all are using the same thing~~

You need to read this bit

Note that this does. Not mean a general yes or no. Just checking if there are more issues if we think about it in more detail.

Don't go assuming that the feature is accepted.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 30, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
How many people here currently save messages? 

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
Export messages to CSV format
« Reply #26: November 10, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »
Title: Export messages to CSV format

Summary: I would like there to be ability to export received and sent letters to CSV format for preservation and processing.

Details: The CSV should have fields: id, type, Title, Timestamp (time when sent), sender, audience ( for example: groupname(number of people in that group), if hand selected few nobles, then names should be mentioned), message body, signature.

Benefits: For example: I am running a competition where nobles who support the TO of a region the most turns will get awarded lordship of said region. Would be easier to calculate the points. (nobles send reports to realm if they want to compete). ALSO its easier and more correct way to archive and sort messages for the means of history.

Possible Exploits: Nobles would have extremely good memory if the players would save history... I assume it would be coded so that it would be impossible to get other peoples messages by manipulation.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Export messages to CSV format
« Reply #27: November 10, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
CSV, for messages?  :o
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: November 10, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
Yeah, CSV might be a bit awkward.

However, a plain text dump option would be very nice.

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 10, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
Yeah, CSV might be a bit awkward.

However, a plain text dump option would be very nice.

Why awkward? It could be seperated by ' and all ' in the text changed to ". Ofcourse fields would be seperated by ; too.

I think that CSV will make it easier to manipulate the data... I would actually prefer SQL, but thats probably not good for other people... But wait, what about xml? Should be the best? Only thing is that not good to process in excel. But I would prefer xml over text...