Author Topic: Saddest Moments in Battlemaster  (Read 8492 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Saddest Moments in Battlemaster
« Reply #15: September 05, 2012, 12:53:13 AM »
The loss of the realm-as-team ethos.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #16: September 05, 2012, 01:24:08 AM »

When people think that the realm as team ethos makes for a better game...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 05, 2012, 01:32:09 AM »

At the risk of starting an off-topic discussion:

The realm-as-team ethos is better for the game as a whole, even if there is a minority of the players (that happens to include me) that enjoy play styles that include a significant amount of intra-realm conflict.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 05, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »

It does, for them. Magic that isn't it, how different things appeal to different people.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 05, 2012, 01:46:57 AM »
* Indirik agrees.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #20: September 05, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »

The realm-as-team ethos is better for the game as a whole, even if there is a minority of the players (that happens to include me) that enjoy play styles that include a significant amount of intra-realm conflict.

I'll accept this.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 10, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
thus

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 17, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »

While I am certainly in the minority which you have mentioned, I find it odd to think that a "realm as team" ethos is inherently good for the game. I would think that under the new Hierarchy system, that having a "liege-and-vassals" as a team ethos would be much more fitting game mechanics wise and more fun. This certainly means that realm as a team is still possible, but it also means that while each knight is certainly on their lord's team, they will compete against the other knights to receive a lordship position. Or each lord is on the team of their Duke, they compete with their fellow lords for ducal seats, and so on for Dukes and rulers.

What is wrong with that? I think its quite fun honestly.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 17, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
As for a saddest moment in Battlemaster, I'd like to submit one which is quickly approaching:

The full colonization of all of Dwilight.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 17, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
The estates/tax system.

I used to be enthused by it, and it brought a whole new RP dimension... but the old centralized taxes was the foundation of any team ethos. It also made for more effective war machines and faster recovery, as any region or production loss would take a little gold off everyone instead of a lot off a few, and it was much easier to put the funds where they were needed instead of having the wealthy regions give all of their wealth to an inactive (or non-fighting) few.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 17, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »
The estates/tax system.

I used to be enthused by it, and it brought a whole new RP dimension... but the old centralized taxes was the foundation of any team ethos. It also made for more effective war machines and faster recovery, as any region or production loss would take a little gold off everyone instead of a lot off a few, and it was much easier to put the funds where they were needed instead of having the wealthy regions give all of their wealth to an inactive (or non-fighting) few.

I agree.  I thought it was going to be really awesome...but in practice, the old taxes led to a much more fun and flexible game.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #26: September 17, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »
Now I'm just sad because I don't get considered for lord appointments since I'm either not in that duchy, or don't have an estate in that region, and don't want to let go of my estate just for "the chance of being appointed". :-/
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 18, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »
Now I'm just sad because I don't get considered for lord appointments since I'm either not in that duchy, or don't have an estate in that region, and don't want to let go of my estate just for "the chance of being appointed". :-/

This kinda sucks, but imo it increases the odds of newbies getting lordships for precisely these reasons, so it's fair in my book.

I agree.  I thought it was going to be really awesome...but in practice, the old taxes led to a much more fun and flexible game.

Yup... Going back now would be impossible, because the rest of the game evolved on the new system and the culture it brought. But the game is much less newbie/slacker-friendly since and retention seems to have suffered from it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron