Author Topic: Speed up region recovery rate  (Read 15536 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Speed up region recovery rate
« Reply #30: September 16, 2012, 05:00:33 AM »
Not a problem we have right now, indeed. A problem we could face if such things were implemented, though.

Also, you are complaining that it's too hard to stop wars? Do you want wars or do you want peace? Because on one hand, you are saying you want it to be easier to fight wars, and on the other, you are asking for it to be easier to end them.

Yes. Exactly. There should be more, shorter wars.

It should be not only possible, but expected, for the end result of a war to be something less than the destruction or deep crippling of a realm.

Wars should be fought over a border region (victory condition: hold the region, convince other realm it's not worth trying to take it back). Or an insult to the ruler's honour (victory condition: other realm apologizes).  Or the beating of a priest of the realm's predominant religion (victory condition: apology, Danegeld, and preaching rights in perpetuity).

Not just "You insulted me! Now there will be war, until we have destroyed you!" Or "You hurt our neighbour! Now there will be war, until we have destroyed you!"

Or (and, as Bedwyr says, this is really the problematic part), "Apologize for your insult!" "No! Never!" (time passes, several regions are taken) "Now, apologize for your insult, and we give you back half the regions we took!" "Never! Give back everything you took, and give us two other regions of yours, too!" "WTF?!?!" (time passes, more regions taken, capital is besieged) "Now, apologize for your insult, and we give you back half the regions we took!" "Never! Give back everything you took, and five more regions of yours, too!" "Are you high??"

You know people act this way, Chénier, and it's a real problem for BattleMaster. By the time a war gets to that point, it's rarely much fun for the losing side, and often not much fun for the winning side, either. In my experience, they'd be quite happy to make peace, go home and rest up for a while—but this stupid little realm that hasn't got a snowball's chance in Hell of winning just won't stop fighting.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan