Poll

What number of characters makes for a better game?

One noble per island (Dwilight)
22 (44%)
One noble per realm, multiple per island allowed
11 (22%)
One noble in power per realm, multiple characters in same realm allowed
6 (12%)
Multiple characters in same realm allowed
11 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: October 10, 2012, 02:26:15 PM

Author Topic: How do you feel about multiple characters?  (Read 12708 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about multiple characters?
« Reply #30: September 28, 2012, 01:26:16 AM »
I like the 'one noble per island', but after reading the different opinions here... well... I hadn't change my mind, but I understand the others people reasons.

Well, I still prefer to have one noble per continent. However, I don't feel the need to impose it on everyone. I'm fine with the idea of having some continents with limitations and other without.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 28, 2012, 01:36:01 AM »
Well, I still prefer to have one noble per continent. However, I don't feel the need to impose it on everyone. I'm fine with the idea of having some continents with limitations and other without.

+1

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 28, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »

I don't like imposing restrictions on people that didn't use to have them, in places that didn't use to have them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 28, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
I have no qualms about any impositions of any kind.

And I'm always in favor of anything that hacks away at the power of OOC clans and BM's golden-oldies (myself included), and a 1-character-per-continent rule would do that.

That said, this:
One noble per continent?  Yeah, congrats on killing most donations to BM.  I'd have more nobles than continents I would want to play on.  Not a huge fan of AT, Dwilight, or the Colonies.

Is a fair concern, with an easy solution.

Make two-characters-on-a-non-Dwilight-continent possible... for donors (but maybe keep a 1-character-per-realm restriction, though with big alliance blocks that still isn't much of a restriction).

I predict a significant uptick in donations with such a rule, as the benefits to donating would be relatively bigger, and present donors would be relatively unaffected.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 30, 2012, 04:51:23 AM »
I think a rather large number of people would not appreciate something - something rather big - being taken away from the majority of players and given solely to those who donate.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: September 30, 2012, 05:23:45 AM »
I think a rather large number of people would not appreciate something - something rather big - being taken away from the majority of players and given solely to those who donate.

Indeed.

Not to mention that this would give significant advantages to realms with large proportions of donors...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 30, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
Indeed.

Not to mention that this would give significant advantages to realms with large proportions of donors...

Hm, I wonder what realms have a large proportion of donors?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 30, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »

I'd say: Are realms with a larger proportion of donors?  ???

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 30, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »

Hell if I know.

However, other games have shown us that many people are willing to pay cash to gain in-game advantages. This would certainly qualify.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 30, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »
I prefer to keep my characters paired in realms as it gives a better sense of a family association with a realm when one of them dies. It also better suits my playing style as I like to have one focus on military adventure and the other on governance and trade.

I'm also trying to tell a story with my characters of a noble family striving to defend its interests in a hostile world, and I don't think forcing each character to live on a separate continent or in a separate realm would really reflect that. The characters would to my mind become rootless mercenaries rather than land-obsessed nobility, an outlook which is already prevalent.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 01, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »
I personally prefer 1 noble per continent (I tried 2 once and didn't like it), but I have no problem with people having multiple characters per continent. In that I have a preference for one per realm, multiple per continent.

However, I've seen plenty of players separate characters with opposing interests very well, so I see no reason to limit those people who enjoy that, even if there are those who would abuse it.