Author Topic: Registration jump/record  (Read 7855 times)

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Registration jump/record
« Reply #15: October 01, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
like i wrote before the easiest thing would be to make automated help system that will guide them few days or so and make interface more intuitive
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:04:36 PM by MediumTedium »
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Zakilevo

« Reply #16: October 01, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
Not to mention that the potential for sniffing out bugs is greatly increased.

Pretty sure each island is ran separately...

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 01, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
Taking from thsi idea:

1) New players have no idea what to do

2) Lords should be able to provide knights with something to do.

I also agree we have to find a way to give the new players a easier way, so they can understand about BM faster, for us who have years is easy to know and what is this universe about, but many people have no idea what is this.

Remember not everyone see what we see on BM. during the years, my family, my friends, my coworkers, etc. have been asking and wondering, what is this place where i am daily, they see me smiling, also they see me punching things on the desk, but all they see is a black screen with table of letters in Yellow, Blue and Red background.

I swear you that i was really really bored when i started to play BM, i was a Wizard on Lineage 2 where you spent more of the time sitting for MP, than what you used it to farm(like 8 min vs 40 seconds). Many people aren’t that bored to learn what is this about, and this game have a lot of potential once you are in it,  is amazing how we don’t have 1 Million players.

We should find a way to make the people learn faster, not the game mechanic, but what is about and what we do, what they can do. Not everyone loves to read manual of everything they see. Mentors were good, i had a good Mentor, i remember i had to learn fast about things during war time.

What about we have a new player server, it can be small continent like the SWI, or smaller doesn’t matter if is just a 5 region continent so the new players know what to do and how things work in a OCC to IC way. And we have 1 old time player (could be dev, mod, tom?) telling the players how thing works, we can put a full time rogue region with monsters so the new players learn every aspect of the game on his pace, then in 5-10 days we just emigrate to the main continents.

So when a new player comes, the first thing he sees won't be a order to assault something somewhere, is like teleporting in front of a truck and you have like 2 seconds to react.

Also we should do something about the front page, make it more frienly like, at least to make the people click around even if doesnt like the game.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #18: October 01, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
OOC, not OCC.

Tom has already said no to a continent for newbs.  Kind of mixed on the concept myself.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 02, 2012, 03:20:02 AM »
OOC, not OCC.

Tom has already said no to a continent for newbs.  Kind of mixed on the concept myself.
My suggestion since Tom is against newb island is to label realmss at war, and maybe a short description by ruler of the war when making a character, like winning, small realm, big war so the new players can join a realm at war and know how the war is, as many would agree war time can be quite fun and is something interesting to get players hooked at the beginning.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 02, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
I think that a tutorial built into the game in the form of quests, as suggested in another thread, might be helpful. I also think that allowing new characters to start as an Adventurer, Warrior, Priest or Courtier might also help. At the least after a new player had played a warrior for a certain period. I think it allows new players greater freedom when creating a character concept which will make them more vested and more likely to stick around longer and I know I would love such a feature.

Say a new player creates a warrior. Once in the game he receives an automated message like:

"Welcome to $REALM_NAME. You have taken the first steps down the path of a noble warrior. To this end your Father has instructed you to gain an estate from and swear an oath of alligence to a Lord of the realm. Upon completing this you will receive 25 gold from your family.
((OOC: For information on how to do thif see $LINK_TO_WIKI_PAGE or just ask the other players in your realm. Be sure to mark out of character questions as OOC messages!))"

Then, upon accomplishing this, a new message is sent out like:

"Good job! I bet that estate of yours makes for a very comfortable home. As a warrior, you will need to make sure your unit is fit to fight. This can be done by training your men and adding new recruits to your unit. These go hand in hand as adding fresh recruits to a well trained force can reduce their effectiveness as a unit and this can only be remedied through training and battle. Raise your units CS to 250 by adding recruits and training your men. Once this is done you will receive 3 points of honor and 1 point of prestige as others will recognize you ability as a commander and dedication to the realm.
((OOC: For information on how to do thif see $LINK_TO_WIKI_PAGE or just ask the other players in your realm!))"

And so on until the key aspects of the game for that class are explored.

Similar tracks would be created to guide players through the other classes as well. Similar tutorial/quests can be made for different positions. One for region lord, duke, judge, banker, marshal, general, leader, steward, and so on. I would have the tutorial for a given class kick in whenever one of a players characters assumes a class or position they have never played before.  After a player has gone through a given tutorial/quest track make it optional. There could even be a player based quest track with missions like "have a character become ruler" or "found a religion" Kind of like taking the fame point system and making the commonly known pieces into quests that are right in front of you.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:00:45 AM by Unwin »

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #21: October 02, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »
Though I know they're usually frowned upon, an visual achievement system may help encourage players to actively play, participate, and stick around.  It might not seem like much, but people do respond well to rewarding them even if it's nothing more than a pat on the head.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #22: October 02, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
As I said: I'm all for it, but someone needs to flesh it out. Make me an actual list of the steps a newbie needs to achieve to "get into the game" and how to trigger/determine them. That is the most tricky part, I fear.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 02, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
Though I know they're usually frowned upon, an visual achievement system may help encourage players to actively play, participate, and stick around.  It might not seem like much, but people do respond well to rewarding them even if it's nothing more than a pat on the head.

We sort of have it (Fame), maybe we can implement the Fame Box in the family page, there are players who seek themselves a statistic goal, instead of World Domination.

Also we can add, some High Mileage Fame, like 100 years character (winks to Loren) Gamers these days love it. i see my brother and cousins talking about Achievement Unlocked, here is some  info From Wiki With Love
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:40:06 PM by Sonya »