Author Topic: Newbie Quests  (Read 16268 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Newbie Quests
« Reply #15: October 03, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
Remember that the game code can only reward things that it can spot.

Asking to be added to the army is something we want to teach new players - but we can't spot it because the game does not understand english messages. Being added to the army is what we can spot.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 03, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
Quest 4 - Join an army: Tells the player to message his liege lord and ask to be assigned to an army. Also explains the importance of armies in a realm. A special game message should be sent to the liege lord's character (and maybe even to his Player Page) to try to ensure the new character doesn't get stuck in this quest due to an inactive liege lord. Perhaps give this quest a time limit of X days, after which it tells the new character to send a message to the Realm Council.

Finishes once the character is assigned to an army. The game congratulates them and gives them a point of Honour.

I think that the intention was that the reward was given once a member of the army. What Velax is proposing is that amongst the instructions to do so it states the need of contacting your liege, and so on and so forth. Though, what happens if the liege directly assigns the guy to an army before him asking? Will he get the point of honour anyways? (It's not that I'm against, just asking here)
D'Espana Family

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 04, 2012, 01:28:51 AM »
I drink heavily before all battles so I'm pretty sure I saw 1000 nobles, and a my little pony rainbow!

so ya, change /unit/soldier in my original post

Are there even 1000 nobles in the game...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: October 04, 2012, 01:31:21 AM »
Are there even 1000 nobles in the game...

Absolutely. Dwilight alone has over 500 characters. Some of them will be adventurers, but even so, we certainly have over a thousand noble characters active in the game.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 04, 2012, 01:37:02 AM »
I think that the intention was that the reward was given once a member of the army. What Velax is proposing is that amongst the instructions to do so it states the need of contacting your liege, and so on and so forth. Though, what happens if the liege directly assigns the guy to an army before him asking? Will he get the point of honour anyways? (It's not that I'm against, just asking here)

If as tom says its the action of being assigned  to the army, not requesting to be assigned that gets you the point of honour then its probably just an unavoidable evil.

THough I would personally love the quest "Make sure your knights are assigned to an army" to be sent to all lords when they are appointed and everytime they get a new knight

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 04, 2012, 02:14:35 AM »
Absolutely. Dwilight alone has over 500 characters. Some of them will be adventurers, but even so, we certainly have over a thousand noble characters active in the game.

How many active players do we have?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Zakilevo

« Reply #21: October 04, 2012, 02:42:02 AM »
How many active players do we have?

1094 accounts

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 05, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
I really believe having a small explanatory text for each "quest" is fundamental. Personally that was just what mentors were supposed to do in my opinion: tell newbies why what they are supposed to do is important. "Go there click politics -> take an estate" is boring and annoying for someone joining a super complicated game like bm. Explaining what estates are and what they entail is meaningful. Maybe the quest can point to the wiki but it should be, at least to a certain degree of deepness, self consistent.

Thinking about the branching Tom mentioned, just on the top of my head one could have 2 quests once settled in an estate: serve the realm by being assigned to an army and going to the capital, or improve your home region through police or civil work. Once assigned to an army one can have 2 branches: take a scout and scout a border region, or increase your unit size and reach a certain cs for instance.

I do not believe it is so strictly necessary to give material rewards for finishing the quest, other than unlocking the new donations from the family. This is not world of warcraft. The purpose is to teach the games to newbies, the reward should be an increased understanding of the game itself, and perhaps the opening of new options (such as scouting if you pick up a scout, police work once you switch to police force etc)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: October 05, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
Who wants to lead this project?

To implement it, I need a kind of flowchart with the quests and quest steps and the testable conditions to completion.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 05, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
Valex is the original poster, are you interested?  Does anyone want to help?  What type of help do you need Valex?

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 05, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Valex is the original poster, are you interested?  Does anyone want to help?  What type of help do you need Valex?

I think this is a very interesting project and I would be willing to help coordinating it, as I wrote to Tom. But if the original poster wants to keep organising the feature request I guess he has more right than I to do it.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 07, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »
I would be happy to lead the project and write up the quests and list their steps and so on. Could someone else then create the flow chart from that? I'm not really much of a graphics person and would have to painstakingly create such a chart in Paint or something.

egamma

« Reply #27: October 07, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »
I would be happy to lead the project and write up the quests and list their steps and so on. Could someone else then create the flow chart from that? I'm not really much of a graphics person and would have to painstakingly create such a chart in Paint or something.

I can create a flowchart, I have Visio. Visio exports in PDF format as well so there's not a huge burden on others. Just send me a PM when you are done.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: October 07, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
I can create a flowchart, I have Visio. Visio exports in PDF format as well so there's not a huge burden on others. Just send me a PM when you are done.

SVG or PNG would be preferred because it can be posted on the Wiki.

egamma

« Reply #29: October 07, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »
SVG or PNG would be preferred because it can be posted on the Wiki.

PNG's on the list too.