Author Topic: Marshal title  (Read 4117 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Marshal title
« Topic Start: October 05, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
Is it deliberate that the Marshal title no longer appears in signatures unless sending messages to the army?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Marshal title
« Reply #1: October 05, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »
Mostly, yes.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 05, 2012, 11:43:44 PM »
Mostly, yes.
Whats the reasoning behind it?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

egamma

« Reply #3: October 06, 2012, 12:55:44 AM »
Whats the reasoning behind it?

It's sorta like a judge not insisting on being called "your honor" at home at the dinner table. The Marshal title is only relevant when talking about military matters with the army.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 06, 2012, 01:33:13 AM »
It's sorta like a judge not insisting on being called "your honor" at home at the dinner table. The Marshal title is only relevant when talking about military matters with the army.
The issue with saying its only relevant when talking to the army is for trying to contact the marshal of an army without a being apart of the army. How's a marshal supposed to contact a marshal of a marshal of an allied realm? That's just one example, with there being several others and no way to find out who is marshal of an army. Also, I know not why a noble wouldn't want to show that he has that position to others by having it included in his signature, especially when it's only position besides knight.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: October 06, 2012, 05:28:15 AM »

Roughly, yes.

Marshal is a minor title, unlike landed nobility or government positions. Guild titles, for example, also only show up when you message the guild. Likewise, the marshal title shows up when you message the army (and soon at least one more military channel).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 06, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
Tom,
The Marshal title was added to messages sent beyond the army specifically so that people didn't have to wonder who this weirdo was who kept talking about military matters, just because they weren't in his army. Also so that they could know who to talk to to find out more about a particular army.

I think this change is a step backwards, especially in terms of newbie-friendliness. And it gains us nothing meaningful: it's slightly more realistic, but that's about it.

If you want to make a change to how titles are handled, Tom, then make titles in battle reports appear horizontal instead of vertical again. That would be really helpful.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: October 06, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
The Marshal title was added to messages sent beyond the army specifically so that people didn't have to wonder who this weirdo was who kept talking about military matters, just because they weren't in his army.

There's a new military realm channel in the new message system.

If you want to make a change to how titles are handled, Tom, then make titles in battle reports appear horizontal instead of vertical again. That would be really helpful.

If people don't file bug reports, I don't know where problems are. These title display issues are trivial to fix if and only if I know about them.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 06, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »
There's a new military realm channel in the new message system.

From a quick check, this appears to only relate to the army you're in.

If people don't file bug reports, I don't know where problems are. These title display issues are trivial to fix if and only if I know about them.

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=7395

Not only a bug report, but one you've been working on ;D

So, I don't know offhand if this has been fixed. If it has, then I apologise. :)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #9: October 06, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
From a quick check, this appears to only relate to the army you're in.

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=7395

So, I don't know offhand if this has been fixed. If it has, then I apologise. :)

He requested feedback but between two RegionMaster nobles, a trader, and a priest, I don't get to see very many battles unless someone else posts the battle report.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: October 06, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »

As you can see from the comments on it, I assume it's fixed, but am waiting for confirmation.

Fury

« Reply #11: October 07, 2012, 10:58:31 AM »
I just found some other situations that require the Marshal title for a message outside the army message channel.
  • Sending orders to one or two army members
  • Replying individually to army members who write to the Marshal
  • Being contacted by another Marshal individually
I'm sure there are many, many other situations.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: October 07, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »
I just found some other situations that require the Marshal title for a message outside the army message channel.

These are issues with the system (the game has no clue that these people are in your army) and will NOT be fixed - because the new message system addresses them and there is no point in wasting the time and effort on the old one.