Author Topic: Duke/Margrave Dynamic  (Read 25740 times)

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
Re: Duke/Margrave Dynamic
« Reply #30: October 14, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
In Kindara we only have one Duke/Margrave separation in the Duchy of the Antoza Coast and that seemed to be born mostly out of convenience for the two characters involved.

I'm for the separation in Kindara when it makes sense, mostly because we can give two people the titles so why not and its neat to do it since it opens up more roleplay opportunities for those who want them. We have no laws regarding it through.

In Makar we just recently had it separated in Icegate and, if Maduin gets the appointment, we might have our first Duke with a region outside his Duchy (assuming that's possible and Maduin doesn't step down.)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #31: October 14, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
In Kindara we only have one Duke/Margrave separation in the Duchy of the Antoza Coast and that seemed to be born mostly out of convenience for the two characters involved.
Actually it was for three reasons:

1.  I don't want to deal with the food crap if I don't have to. 
2.  I actually like being able to hand out more titles.  Obviously cities in any duchy I rule over would be granted to someone I have more faith in than a general rural.
3.  I believe that in the new system, the Duke should be more a "problem solver", assisting in the maintenance of his sprawling domain.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 14, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »
I'm for the separation in Kindara when it makes sense, mostly because we can give two people the titles so why not and its neat to do it since it opens up more roleplay opportunities for those who want them. We have no laws regarding it through.

If memory serves, we actually do have an old law saying that no one can have more than one position at a time (marshalship excluded)...Leofric had to step down as General when he became Duke of Hatdhes, for example. I think we just forgot about it when our noble population both spread out and dropped around the time we took Azros.

I like how we're theme naming our duchies after their historic realm bases :p Too bad we ran out of respectable ideas after Azros and Ortedail. You can almost see everyone thinking "We are not calling this duchy the Soliferum Peninsula..."

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 14, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »
If memory serves, we actually do have an old law saying that no one can have more than one position at a time (marshalship excluded)...Leofric had to step down as General when he became Duke of Hatdhes, for example. I think we just forgot about it when our noble population both spread out and dropped around the time we took Azros.

I like how we're theme naming our duchies after their historic realm bases :p Too bad we ran out of respectable ideas after Azros and Ortedail. You can almost see everyone thinking "We are not calling this duchy the Soliferum Peninsula..."

Yep, that is about it.  I think Kindara had about 50-55 nobles about the time of the Azros takeover. We have just as many regions, with 65% of the character base. That is one reason that I don't really like the splitting of Duke and Margrave. Without an estate one can't be assigned to the army, which makes things somewhat more difficult for the marshal.  It isn't a problem that is unique to Kindara. I don't know if Arcaea has lost people, but like Kindara, there are too few knights for all the estates. I really don't think it's productive to split up the positions from any standpoint.

Hah, yea I thought that. I hope we keep with the same theme. Personally, I'd like to see Hatdhes be named for Nighthelm, and Masahakon, as the capital, be named something unique. Naming is one thing that I really like about the new Duke/Margrave system.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 14, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
1.  I don't want to deal with the food crap if I don't have to. 

I don't blame you, in Makar I am fortunate enough to have the realm Banker as my Steward. I'm getting better about being responsible for that stuff though. Also, that still sounds like it works out of convenience though. :D Plus I love the dynamic it places between you and Malos.

Hah, yea I thought that. I hope we keep with the same theme. Personally, I'd like to see Hatdhes be named for Nighthelm, and Masahakon, as the capital, be named something unique. Naming is one thing that I really like about the new Duke/Margrave system.

This forever! I love the fact that we can name our Duchies now and I try to bug Leofric and Lazarath when I can about naming their Duchies.

Yeah, the whole realm council member cannot hold regional titles or Duke titles thing fell apart when our population started to drop. I think I had Edmund suggest we stick with Realm Council members cannot be Dukes instead of both dukes or region lords, but that didn't last long either. I think Edmund is the only one of the council now with no other titles.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #35: October 14, 2012, 11:00:52 PM »
if Maduin gets the appointment, we might have our first Duke with a region outside his Duchy (assuming that's possible and Maduin doesn't step down.)

It is not. If it is, please report it as a bug.

Eirikr

« Reply #36: October 14, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
In Makar we just recently had it separated in Icegate and, if Maduin gets the appointment, we might have our first Duke with a region outside his Duchy (assuming that's possible and Maduin doesn't step down.)

Is Yule not in the Duchy of Icegate? I might just change that if Sordnaz does pick me up. (It's never really mattered much to me until now.)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 14, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
My favorite part of this situation is how much funny irony is involved in it.

We have the Consul making arguments for separating the Duke and Margrave of a city positions, while we have my character just sitting in the realm as General, Duke of the sole duchy of the realm, and Margrave of the capital (although that just changed).

Makes it really hard to make arguments against position consolidation when there is a walking example just remaining quiet on the issue.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Eirikr

« Reply #38: October 15, 2012, 12:16:20 AM »

We have the Consul making arguments for separating the Duke and Margrave of a city positions, while we have my character just sitting in the realm as General, Duke of the sole duchy of the realm, and Margrave of the capital (although that just changed).

Makes it really hard to make arguments against position consolidation when there is a walking example just remaining quiet on the issue.

I hope you didn't mind when I essentially threw you under the bus... Honestly, I think people are just clamoring for power now that it is available. I don't mind, they really should, but I'm not going to get another chance to force the issue.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: October 15, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »
Is Yule not in the Duchy of Icegate? I might just change that if Sordnaz does pick me up. (It's never really mattered much to me until now.)

Yule borders the city of Makar so it's always been apart of the Makarian Duchy for as long as I remembered.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 15, 2012, 12:32:54 AM »
I hope you didn't mind when I essentially threw you under the bus... Honestly, I think people are just clamoring for power now that it is available. I don't mind, they really should, but I'm not going to get another chance to force the issue.

And I hope you don't mind when it changes absolutely nothing about my position. :D
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Eirikr

« Reply #41: October 15, 2012, 03:21:11 AM »
Not at all! Honestly, despite our differences, Ravendon would still rather you in that spot. He just wants to balance power, not destroy it.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: October 15, 2012, 04:22:01 AM »

Hahaha I just haven't directly said it... simply just enjoying the irony
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

egamma

« Reply #43: October 15, 2012, 04:38:42 AM »
In Oriolton, there's a Duke/Margrave who wants a Duke/Margrave/General to step down as General (or margrave/duke).

So...I started a referendum.

Should nobles be prevented from holding multiple positions?

This would prevent a duke from also being a region lord.
This would also prevent a council member from being a duke or lord.

This law will read:
"It is unlawful for a noble to hold more than one position for more than 14 days." The 14 days is to arrange for a suitable replacement.

Vote "yes" if you wish for this law to pass.
Vote "no" if you do not wish for this law to pass.

I call this the "mexican standoff" referendum.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 15, 2012, 04:41:26 AM »
In Oriolton, there's a Duke/Margrave who wants a Duke/Margrave/General to step down as General (or margrave/duke).

So...I started a referendum.

Should nobles be prevented from holding multiple positions?

This would prevent a duke from also being a region lord.
This would also prevent a council member from being a duke or lord.

This law will read:
"It is unlawful for a noble to hold more than one position for more than 14 days." The 14 days is to arrange for a suitable replacement.

Vote "yes" if you wish for this law to pass.
Vote "no" if you do not wish for this law to pass.

I call this the "mexican standoff" referendum.

The limit could also be for 2 titles, you know. ;) As dukes can't be knights, they therefore can't have estates unless they are lords themselves. Efficiency loss!!!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron