Author Topic: Population damage and repair  (Read 16072 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Population damage and repair
« Reply #45: October 14, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
I always was in favor of a system that allows to increase growth somehow, though. As long as it's costly and not really effective.

So, in a medieval world, where cities are NOT generally considered places you want to live in, how exactly would you increase population growth?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #46: October 14, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »
Really, the thing is when you loot a region, (or is under 'local' hunger), the people would not to die in enormous amounts, but to flee to neighbour regions (or hide in the woods), and come back to their region when the situation got better. I can understand destruction of production, or even the destruction of a City, but usually the people is hard to exterminate... they usually don't wait for death but flee!  :P  Maybe this would be a bit more realistic and better for the game.

Errr... you need to read up on history. Starvation was a huge killer in the dark ages, and generals back to biblical times regularily put entire towns to the sword.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: October 14, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
So, in a medieval world, where cities are NOT generally considered places you want to live in, how exactly would you increase population growth?

Migration subsidies, free housing, free entertainment, greater-than-average infrastructure.

Stuff that costs a lot more gold than is probably worth it. But hey, if you really want to repopulate the cities, and don't have any war to dump your gold on, you might be tempted to do anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: October 15, 2012, 01:16:27 AM »
Errr... you need to read up on history. Starvation was a huge killer in the dark ages, and generals back to biblical times regularily put entire towns to the sword.

Oh, yes... but I said 'local' hunger... one region, or two...for big hungers there is no way out!... and yes, often a town or a city was destroyed and all the population killed... but a whole region? ... even the worst plagues, (as the Plague of Justinian or the Black Death) only killed half of the population.

Well... Maybe BM regions are smaller than I supposed...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: October 15, 2012, 01:34:52 AM »
Oh, yes... but I said 'local' hunger... one region, or two...for big hungers there is no way out!... and yes, often a town or a city was destroyed and all the population killed... but a whole region? ... even the worst plagues, (as the Plague of Justinian or the Black Death) only killed half of the population.

Well... Maybe BM regions are smaller than I supposed...

Half of general populations. I believe some localities were completely wiped off the map by the plague, and the damage it caused was certainly not spread evenly.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: October 15, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »
Half of general populations. I believe some localities were completely wiped off the map by the plague, and the damage it caused was certainly not spread evenly.

It's hard to tell... the medieval sources are not very reliable... These kind of plagues would affect cities more than the country regions. Modern sources believe around 40% of Constantinople and maybe 25% of rural areas population died in the Justinian plague. The Black Death probably killed around 50% cities population and 30% of rural areas... (It was 'a bit' more in south Europe and 'a bit' less in the north areas.)  :P

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: October 15, 2012, 10:54:05 PM »
It's hard to tell... the medieval sources are not very reliable... These kind of plagues would affect cities more than the country regions. Modern sources believe around 40% of Constantinople and maybe 25% of rural areas population died in the Justinian plague. The Black Death probably killed around 50% cities population and 30% of rural areas... (It was 'a bit' more in south Europe and 'a bit' less in the north areas.)  :P

Again that's just averages.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.