Author Topic: Villains make the game fun  (Read 36847 times)

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Villains make the game fun
« Reply #105: October 31, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
From an objective standpoint, if we weren't presented with Agatha Heterodyne as the sympathetic protagonist, Klaus Wulfenbach would be the hero of the story, and the one we should be rooting for.

Not certain of this. Maybe in the same way that we root for the Punisher as the anti-hero. But an extremist in end-justifies-the-means makes a hard sell for a "sympathetic" protagonist. Warring, conquering, and ruling by force and might in an effort to end all wars "for the good of Europa" seems counter-intuitive.

One thing's for certain, he's definitely proven Harvey Dent's theory to be accurate.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #106: October 31, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »
So you're saying that we should be rooting for the one that is causing chaos that usually does the most harm to the average person, often resulting in collateral damage that wouldn't happen otherwise? That the one challenging the forces of order is always the hero is ludicrous to me.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: November 01, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »
The emperor guy in the Mistborn series was one of those types of misunderstood hero kinds of people, too. (I forget his name, been too long since I read it.) Doing the best he knew how in order to keep the world alive, despite the brutality and repression he was causing to do it. And, of course, no one knew it until after they had killed him. :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: November 01, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
I have always found the hero class in BM a bit strange. By choosing the hero class you are saying that your character leads by example. That they get hands on in battles. That the characters deeds have caused commoners all over to respect him and flock to him. He is also the sort to boast of his deeds. I can see this applied to both a cruel mean character and a good chivalrous one.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: November 01, 2012, 11:55:48 PM »
Hmm, looking through all these posts. Not many people want become Villains. What do you all think if we give incentive for having a Villain character? 8)

Sundar Apasurain on the Far-east server is an active villian.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: November 05, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
There are plenty of villains out there they call themselves... diplomats!

On another note, I think at the end we say there is space for plenty of villains. Just not enough of us willing to openly admit which character it is... I for one would find it particularly funny for someone to become a Monarch and to destroy the realm from within. That would truly be something, to be involved in. Perhaps, even a realm that is parades around as a monarchy but seem more like a theocracy to begin mass persecution of other religions.

However, we all know that most of these things generally will not come to fold beside the last one, because power once gained is hard to give up... or is it
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: November 05, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
Perhaps, even a realm that is parades around as a monarchy but seem more like a theocracy to begin mass persecution of other religions.

Sorraine?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #112: November 05, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
Sorraine?

Sorraine is publicly a Theocracy that uses a monarch as its head of state.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: November 05, 2012, 11:43:05 PM »
Allison is a tough one. She's a zealot, that's for sure. Ambitious and opportunistic. And 100% Teflon-coated. In some sense you could call her a villain. The perspective from which the story is written will really determine if she's a hero or villain. She's manipulative and ruthless. Willing to let a lot of people die to get to where she thinks things need to be. An "ends justify the means" person, for sure. But her end goal is not an evil one.

The best villains are always those who think that they are doing the right thing. I think very few people set out to play villainous characters from the outset. These things just happen. How far will your character go to achieve his goals? And what are his goals? Those two questions will in a large part determine where your character falls on the scale of subjective good and evil.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: November 06, 2012, 06:02:40 AM »
The best villains are always those who think that they are doing the right thing. I think very few people set out to play villainous characters from the outset. These things just happen. How far will your character go to achieve his goals? And what are his goals? Those two questions will in a large part determine where your character falls on the scale of subjective good and evil.

^This^

I think you'll also have the most fun playing a villain if you play him like this. Even if you steer your character towards villainy, they will be unlikely to even accomplish much unless they at least try to act like they're doing the right thing (at least in their view).

So...do people think Brom is a villain? If so, is he a good one or a really bad one?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: November 06, 2012, 06:23:59 AM »
^This^

I think you'll also have the most fun playing a villain if you play him like this. Even if you steer your character towards villainy, they will be unlikely to even accomplish much unless they at least try to act like they're doing the right thing (at least in their view).

So...do people think Brom is a villain? If so, is he a good one or a really bad one?
From my knowledge, he was in Luria but no longer is one though he could be working on a plot that I am unaware of.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: November 06, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »

One of my characters personally thinks of Brom as a villain, albeit a rather bumbling one. He's like a villain in Scooby Doo.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: November 06, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
One of my characters personally thinks of Brom as a villain, albeit a rather bumbling one. He's like a villain in Scooby Doo.

Not even at least a James Bond villain? Like where I give away my plan before its complete and it allows ppl to stop it.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: November 06, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »

Alanna doesn't see Brom as a villain. To the extent that she labels him at all, it's sort of "incompetent would-be powermonger who doesn't know when to quit."

(And yes, many people would see "powermonger" as being synonymous with "villain." Alanna does not, for reasons that should be pretty obvious.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: November 07, 2012, 05:38:22 AM »
Not even at least a James Bond villain? Like where I give away my plan before its complete and it allows ppl to stop it.

Brom is no Auric Goldfinger or Ernst Blofeld.