Author Topic: Villains make the game fun  (Read 38162 times)

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Villains make the game fun
« Reply #15: October 12, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »
I didn't mean it like that. I meant I wasn't in any actual ruling position as I thought you may have confused me with Medicant. If I was wrong and you knew I was just a knight IC then you are characterizing Drage without even knowing him.  I think I would string one of my men up with wet rawhide if I caught them messing with peasants. Not that I care about the peasants, but it would be very much against the thought of chivalry and Drage loves putting on the Facade of chivalry.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 12, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
I didn't mean it like that. I meant I wasn't in any actual ruling position as I thought you may have confused me with Medicant. If I was wrong and you knew I was just a knight IC then you are characterizing Drage without even knowing him.  I think I would string one of my men up with wet rawhide if I caught them messing with peasants. Not that I care about the peasants, but it would be very much against the thought of chivalry and Drage loves putting on the Facade of chivalry.

What I'm saying is that every player character is pretty damn evil.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 12, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »
What I'm saying is that every player character is pretty damn evil.

Only from a certain point of view; a point of view in which being a member of a government, not spreading equality and freedom; or engaging in warfare is automatically evil. I don't agree that it is; what's important with a character's "evil" is relative to that character's understanding and to the society at large.  The idea of universal human rights is a relatively new one in history, the idea that taxation is some kind of theft ("goons... shaking down") is also not particularly shared by everyone, and the idea that being a warrior or soldier is evil is just plain unrealistic. And I think seeing things in this light makes the nuances of actual characterization much less interesting.

Also too, not every player character is a knight... or a warrior... or even a noble. You could say that adventurers are "evil" too... roaming around the countryside, murdering innocent animals. But that's a bit unreasonable. Priests? Courtiers? Sure, you could blame them for "being part of the system," but that's again like saying everyone who fought for the USSR was evil, everyone who was part of Nazi Germany was evil, all Americans are evil, all Muslims are evil, etc. And there are people who say these things. But it's a bit unreasonable too.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 12, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
It's all subjective. I imagine most people think that anyone not allied with them is the enemy, or as it seems to be here, 'evil'.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 16, 2012, 07:09:18 AM »
Besides my personal favourite villain (the Demon of Dwilight himself) who are your favourite villains on Dwilight?

Rathan Himoura the II was a dastardly one, he betrayed Bowie and caused him to have to flea D'Hara. He caused some other trouble and then was executed. The tyrant of Thulsoma was an interesting character (what was her name? Haruka?). I also remember Garret Artemesia who rebelled in Aquilegia then became a Zuma ambassador. He was usually up to no good. I can't remember any other Dwilight villains off the top of my head. Most don't have the publicity that Bowie does, and have just become anecdotes or distant memories.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Zakilevo

« Reply #20: October 16, 2012, 07:31:50 AM »
I gotta say... Playing as a 'good' guy has its charms but playing as a villain is more interesting and awesome.

But so far, whenever I try to be a bad guy I get taken out before I even start... :o or can never get into positions where being evil actually has impact.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 16, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
I gotta say... Playing as a 'good' guy has its charms but playing as a villain is more interesting and awesome.

But so far, whenever I try to be a bad guy I get taken out before I even start... :o or can never get into positions where being evil actually has impact.

I have a similar issue. Just try to be a bit more subtle in how terribly awful your character is.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Zakilevo

« Reply #22: October 16, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
I have a similar issue. Just try to be a bit more subtle in how terribly awful your character is.

Should act like a good guy before going bat !@#$ crazy. ;)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 16, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
Some rules of thumb for getting evil/villainous/bad/crazy characters into power:

• Most realms are smart enough to keep obviously evil/villainous/bad/crazy characters not only out of power, but under the boot-heel of righteousness where they belong.
  • If you want to be crazy, maybe you should be sane and charismatic for long enough to gain a following, then slowly go crazy, a little at a time.
  • If you want to be evil/villainous/bad, don't also be stupid. Be devious. Don't show your evil/villainous/bad side publicly; make it embodied only in your long-term goals.
  • Learn to propagandize and twist the truth to your advantage. Just because what you want to do happens to contradict most people's notion of what is good, pure, and righteous doesn't mean you can't convince them that it's the best thing to do under the circumstances!
And finally...
  • Go to Outer Tilog. That kind of character is welcomed with open arms there (just watch out for the poisoned daggers in the hands attached to those arms. Or in the severed hands the hands attached to those arms are holding, at any rate...)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #24: October 16, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
Some rules of thumb for getting evil/villainous/bad/crazy characters into power:

• Most realms are smart enough to keep obviously evil/villainous/bad/crazy characters not only out of power, but under the boot-heel of righteousness where they belong.
  • If you want to be crazy, maybe you should be sane and charismatic for long enough to gain a following, then slowly go crazy, a little at a time.
  • If you want to be evil/villainous/bad, don't also be stupid. Be devious. Don't show your evil/villainous/bad side publicly; make it embodied only in your long-term goals.
  • Learn to propagandize and twist the truth to your advantage. Just because what you want to do happens to contradict most people's notion of what is good, pure, and righteous doesn't mean you can't convince them that it's the best thing to do under the circumstances!
And finally...
  • Go to Outer Tilog. That kind of character is welcomed with open arms there (just watch out for the poisoned daggers in the hands attached to those arms. Or in the severed hands the hands attached to those arms are holding, at any rate...)

Outer Tilog? Isn't that realm in the colonies? :o Is OT like the last bastion of all things evil?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 16, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
Outer Tilog? Isn't that realm in the colonies?

Yes.

Is OT like the last bastion of all things evil?

Dunno about "last bastion", but they do try hard.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #26: October 16, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
Outer Tilog? Isn't that realm in the colonies? :o Is OT like the last bastion of all things evil?

Are you really a villain if you're the same as everyone else?

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 16, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »
I have never had what I would consider an evil character but I have caused plenty of controversy just by insisting absolutely on certain things that most players don't care about, e.g. treatment of peasants, feudal obligations, previously undefined hearth rights.

The most "evil" character I've encountered on the FEI was probably Caspius and that was just because he was a religious zealot in a way that makes 21st-century people super uncomfortable but which was not all that unusual in the middle ages, though it was unusual in a King. Even the early Crusader lords' priority went kind of like:

1) Get me some land because the land I have a) sucks or b) doesn't exist and everybody gets all up in my grille when I invade my neighbor
2) Blanket forgiveness for all the murdering/pillaging/extramarital sexing I did before I left home
3) Oh yeah, Jesus

Quintus often seems extreme just by acting old-school feudal. "This Republic stuff is okay I guess but it'd be nice to have somebody in charge for once..."

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 16, 2012, 05:20:40 PM »
I would be very interested in hearing what people consider some of the better villains in the game's history.

It'd be interesting I think if no one ever named their own characters, and if you name the character, the realm, the island, and what exactly made them a villain in your opinion. Also, perhaps rate their "villain-ness" on a scale of 1-10. With 10 being the most devious/evil.

(Perhaps I should make a new thread for this?)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

« Reply #29: October 16, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
Sadly I haven't encountered that many evil characters.

I've heard about some but never met them IG.  :(