Author Topic: Villains make the game fun  (Read 38054 times)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: Villains make the game fun
« Reply #30: October 16, 2012, 11:41:22 PM »
I'm cursed. The characters I envision as heroic always end up labelled villains anyway. If you want to find a villain, look no further than the Himoura family. Except Thain... Well probably Thain to everyone but himself and his followers.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Jim

« Reply #31: October 16, 2012, 11:55:11 PM »
I still remember the atrocities of Gauihu, one of the greatest villains Atamara has ever known.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 17, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
Besides my personal favourite villain (the Demon of Dwilight himself) who are your favourite villains on Dwilight?

Rathan Himoura the II was a dastardly one, he betrayed Bowie and caused him to have to flea D'Hara. He caused some other trouble and then was executed. The tyrant of Thulsoma was an interesting character (what was her name? Haruka?). I also remember Garret Artemesia who rebelled in Aquilegia then became a Zuma ambassador. He was usually up to no good. I can't remember any other Dwilight villains off the top of my head. Most don't have the publicity that Bowie does, and have just become anecdotes or distant memories.

Haha. Your number one was banished from D'Hara long ago. Your number two was executed by D'Hara long ago. Your number four was shut off by D'Hara and (especially) her allies.

Seems like we are quite a villain-crusher. :P

I don't really tend to see Bowie as a villain, though. A bit different, but not a villain.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 17, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »
Vatticus Vashmere would have become a truly evil villan if he had played long enough. However, the player had to leave the game before that happened.

Guiahu (or however you spell it) was a very successful villain.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 17, 2012, 03:58:08 AM »
I remember Vatticus.  He was a great character!
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: October 17, 2012, 04:16:11 AM »
I'm cursed. The characters I envision as heroic always end up labelled villains anyway. If you want to find a villain, look no further than the Himoura family. Except Thain... Well probably Thain to everyone but himself and his followers.

Funny, because I see Thain as a pretty villainous character - mainly due to my interactions with him - and Jonsu as a very well tempered and non-villainous character (even though she's marrying Sevastian.)
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 17, 2012, 04:19:31 AM »
How about Allison Kabrinski?

Guess it depends on your perspective.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 17, 2012, 04:46:56 AM »
Funny, because I see Thain as a pretty villainous character - mainly due to my interactions with him
Thain? He seems mostly an arrogant, self-important blow-hard. Not really villainous.

Allison is a tough one. She's a zealot, that's for sure. Ambitious and opportunistic. And 100% Teflon-coated. In some sense you could call her a villain. The perspective from which the story is written will really determine if she's a hero or villain. She's manipulative and ruthless. Willing to let a lot of people die to get to where she thinks things need to be. An "ends justify the means" person, for sure. But her end goal is not an evil one.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: October 17, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »
...Jonsu as a very well tempered and non-villainous character (even though she's marrying Sevastian.)

I'll take that as a compliment.  8)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: October 17, 2012, 05:49:56 AM »
The perspective from which the story is written will really determine if she's a hero or villain. She's manipulative and ruthless. Willing to let a lot of people die to get to where she thinks things need to be. An "ends justify the means" person, for sure. But her end goal is not an evil one.

I think this is true for most successful villains in the game.  Depending on your perspective, Jenred could easily be one of the worst villains in the game, for instance.  His personal decisions have led directly to at least a million deaths, many of them over matters many would not have fought about, and all for a goal that could easily be seen as evil.

I think Gauihu probably wins for the game over all, but Conan and Tony "The False God" Saprano probably win for the Far East.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Jim

« Reply #40: October 17, 2012, 06:30:55 AM »
I think Gauihu probably wins for the game over all

+1 Agreed. Gauihu was the first Villain I encountered, I think I had been playing BM for 2 months at most when his madness struck. For a newcomer to see that, it was a great experience and one of the funnest times I've ever had playing this game. Oh man, I remember just busting up laughing reading through messages when I woke up in the morning, so many declarations of war...

Zakilevo

« Reply #41: October 17, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »
Oh that Gauihu! The mad king! I was there when he went nuts... I remember Armitage calling him a mad man and saying something about her child, who was also Gauihu's child I believe.

Fun times until all the realms north of us came down on us :/

*Zaki curses CE and Darka

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: October 17, 2012, 07:05:11 AM »
Darkwind was Gauihu's protege, and thought of him as a father-figure.  Gauihu going insane...Did very interesting things to Darkwinds psyche.

And yes, Gauihu had...Two kids?  Maybe three with Armitage.  He succeeded in killing one of them before Armitage managed a rescue.

Then during the whole mess an undead horde rose up in Riverholm, and Gauihu went and danced with them...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: October 17, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
Thain? He seems mostly an arrogant, self-important blow-hard. Not really villainous.
Allison is a tough one. She's a zealot, that's for sure. Ambitious and opportunistic. And 100% Teflon-coated. In some sense you could call her a villain. The perspective from which the story is written will really determine if she's a hero or villain. She's manipulative and ruthless. Willing to let a lot of people die to get to where she thinks things need to be. An "ends justify the means" person, for sure. But her end goal is not an evil one.

Allison? Constantly trying to get the theocracies against D'Hara in some form or another. Clearly a villain. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 17, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »

Guess it depends on your perspective.

Okay now you die.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."